Angel Flight for Animals

I like it! I'll volunteer, but I think I'd want to use someone else's airplane, if you know what I mean.

I met a lady once that flew greyhounds from the tracks in the Southwest to various places for adoption. Very cool.

Id do it (love animals) and i get my animals from Rescues. Here is a Picture of Bear when i first got him.
Dave G.

Attachments

• BEAR.jpg
    BEAR.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Cool I just ran into this place. They fly animals around the country for care of adoption. http://www.flyingpaws.org/
Anyone else ever hear of these guys?

Scott,

Mary and I have read all their info and have thought about taking part but a no go in our club plane. Mary volunteers her time at the local animal shelter and the local pet smart so of course she is really on board with helping the cause. Hmmm....maybe that will speed up the aircraft purchase!

Are flights for this tax deductible like Lifeline and Angel Flight?

For some reason I thought that Reverend Levy did something similar to this, or are the drugs finally wearing off ????

For some reason I thought that Reverend Levy did something similar to this, or are the drugs finally wearing off ????

I think Ron was involved with a particular breed of dogs and their rescue. I don't know if there was any association with FlyingPaws.

Yes, Ron is involved with the Aussie Rescue Placement and Helpline (ARPH -- get it?), and is the founding member of ARPHAir. No association with Flying Paws, and strictly breed-specific.

That is cool Ron! Do you have to sedate them to fly them or are they generally ok to fly?

As noted above, we have begun flying rescued Australian Shepherds for the Aussie Rescue Placement and Helpline (ARPH), making us the charter members of ARPHAir, of which Bill Greenburg is the only other pilot for now. In that situation, i.e., not knowing the dogs, we mount a crate in the back of the plane (Grumman 4-seaters have flop-down rear seats) and that's where they go. After an hour or so in cruise, if the dog is relaxed, we may open the gate for a bit of reassuring petting, but if any doubts arise, the dog stays locked up. We had one who oozed his way into the front seat, and then wanted to sit in my lap while I was flying -- not cool. He got stuffed back in the crate and left there for the rest of the flight, during which he stared long and hard at the latch, trying to figure out how to open it.

As far as sedation, I know that the effects of sedatives are increased with altitude, and without knowing for sure the effect on any given dog or the altitude at which we'll fly, we do not sedate them. We give specific instructions to that effect to the sending ARPH volunteer, and will not accept the dog if sedated (don't want a bad reaction at 7000 feet). We put the dog in the crate before engine start, and then see what happens when we crank. If the dog really freaked, that would be the end of the flight right there, but so far, there hasn't been a significant reaction.

We also do this on our own. We have just volunteered to many breed clubs and have moved dogs around off and on for the last year and a half.

We train dogs for a living and dealing with some of the dogs is much more of a challange than the flying its self. Some of these dogs have very little socialization and can be very scared and you had better be prepared, for it can become some what intense at times during loading and unloading.
I had one situation that we moved a 75lbs German shorthaired Pointer being transitioned from a pound(Death Row) to a foster home. Needless to say this dog was not all that excited about the idea of being put in a crate,probably had never been in one. It was very hot and we HAD to get in the air before the dog over heated. I got bit loading him and unloading him. Once we had the dog out of the crate he settled down. The dog was just scared and that is when you will get bit and you must be patient because if your are not you will make it worse.
I always use a crate, I never use drugs and try to find the smoothest air I can.

These dogs need help and sometimes offering the time and fuel is to get the dogs moved will save that animals life.

This a great reason to fly and even a low time pilot like myself can help.
I think your dogs skills are more important for this than being super pilot. It would be terrible to be trying to get a dog loaded and loose control of the dog and have it get away from you.

Jon

i want to assist w/ this. how do you get the crate in the 172? and how big a crate can it be?........:dunno: ...

shipoke..........your dog is gorgeous!!!:D

i want to assist w/ this. how do you get the crate in the 172? and how big a crate can it be?........:dunno: ...
If you want to get in the ARPH business, send me an email with your contact information, and I'll let you know if an Aussie needs transportation in, to, or from your area. I suspect that the only way to get a crate big enough for an Aussie into a 172 would be to pull the rear seat, split the crate (it's a clamshell type construction), and reassemble it in the back of the plane. The Grumman "wide-mouth" canopy and fold-flat rear seat are big advantages for this work.

If you want to get in the ARPH business, send me an email with your contact information, and I'll let you know if an Aussie needs transportation in, to, or from your area. I suspect that the only way to get a crate big enough for an Aussie into a 172 would be to pull the rear seat, split the crate (it's a clamshell type construction), and reassemble it in the back of the plane. The Grumman "wide-mouth" canopy and fold-flat rear seat are big advantages for this work.

You can also get the collapsible wire crate..fold it flat, put in in the back (seat removed) then unfold it.

ARPH ARPH - what a great play-on-paws. Locally, one of the guys has a Grumman Cheetah. And a retired Greyhound who loves to fly. Nearly every airport around has on the bulletin board the picture of the dog, sitting in the cockpit and wearing the classic leather helmet and goggles. Camille just has to say, "Lynder Lee, want to go flying?" and the dog is up and ready.
Note the name on the aircraft. Regrets that I don't have a scan of the aging photo of copilot, Lynder Lee.

HR

Attachments

• Merrymeeting3 021707.jpg
    Merrymeeting3 021707.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 9
There was an article in one of the aviation magazines a couple years ago about an organization based in either Arizona or Southern California. They dealt with rescuing Greyhounds that were retired. Too often before, they were put down if they weren't good for breeding. A group of pilots flew them across country to have the dog placed with permanent owners.

It seems like they had mentioned an afiliation with Flying Paws. The name is familiar.

Back