Anecdotes from an Airpark Kid

COFlyBoy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
COFlyBoy
Thought I'd throw out a few anecdotes from growing up on an airpark.
If you've got some good ones please add to the thread.

#1 - There were some guys who used to come buzz the airpark in their T-6s. I guess they had friends who lived on the field, so they'd zoom by to say hi. One day I heard the beautiful rumble of all those cylinders and ran out to watch the low pass. The T-6 stayed in the pattern and came by for another. On the pull up at the end of the runway the guy decides to throw in a barrel roll. I guess he didn't do it right, because right when he was totally inverted the engine quit. Totally quiet. He kept rolling and got it upright, and then the engine coughed to life and he went on his way. All of this between 200 and 400 feet. I'll bet he had some dirty pants.

#2 - We had lots of fly-ins at the airpark. I guess for us it was really a stay-in. Anyway, after a successful barbecue one summer, three planes were taxiing down the runway to depart. A Fairchild, a Glassair, and a Cherokee. The Fairchild turned around at the end of the runway and the Cherokee pulled off into the weeds. The Fairchild then poured the coals to it and started down the runway right through the Glassair. Fortunately, no one got hurt, but the Fairchild busted a landing gear strut and bent a wing. The Glassair looked like it had gone through a blender. The Fairchild's prop went through the cockpit of the Glassair, but didn't hit either of the guys in it.

Back