Android comes to Verizon

I've been with Verizon for years. I get to upgrade next month. Was planning on going to the nv touch. Very interested in how this Droid performs....

Yeah.. Rachel REALLY wants an iPhone, but as much as she actually talks on her phone, I know she would not be happy with AT&T's voice coverage. But if the Android phone has some bells and whistles comparable to iPhone and is durable, AND it gets Verizon coverage, it could be a good deal for her.

I think I'm going to do it. I've been reading whatever I can find.

From what I've read, it's pretty cool but not as good as the iPhone.

+ side

• better resolution
  • 5MPx camera
  • physical keyboard
  • multiple user apps
  • Better processor
  • not on ATT network

-side

• Single touch screen so it can't do that 2 finger zoom thing
  • even though it has removable SD cards up to 32GB apps only run in the 512MB internal memory. Security I think. I'm not sure what practical effect that has
  • Apps not as mature
Joe

Last edited:
Do yourselves a favor and root the phone as soon as you get it. You won't regret it.

Rooting will allow you to do everything listed as a "minus" in Joe's post (except ATT network, which I don't get, since its a Verizon phone).

I've got to say something nice about Verizon here. I have never used them until I recently got a USB broadband modem with Verizon service. I was having trouble connecting so I called their number and got a very helpful, pleasant young woman at a call center in Ohio somewhere. She stayed on the line with me for at least a half hour or more trying to troubleshoot and we were finally successful.

I've had great CS with Verizon too. Even sent me a phone at discounted rate that wasnt covered under warranty when Kaiser ate the one I had. Discounted as in $50, vs $250.

Do yourselves a favor and root the phone as soon as you get it. You won't regret it.

Rooting will allow you to do everything listed as a "minus" in Joe's post
More info please. What is it, how do I do it, does it **** off Verizon?

(except ATT network, which I don't get, since its a Verizon phone).
Oops, I fixed it

As I said, I have no experience with it, I was just trying to summarize what read.

Joe

I'll have to get my son to post here. He got up early today and got one on the way to work. It's on the battery charger right now.

More info please. What is it, how do I do it, does it **** off Verizon?

If Verizon is like T-Mobile, they will simply take a "Oh, its rooted, no support" opinion. Luckily, restoring back to the OEM Version of Android is a simple matter of entering bootloader mode and running the bootloader file from the SD card (device specific steps, not sure on the droid).

The steps (as they are currently certainly there will be a new, easier method with the Android 2.0 that launches with the Droid) is to downgrade to a previous version of Android that has a glitch that allows you to get root access on the phone. Then, when rooted, mount the file system as root and install the upgrades. Boom - you're a super user (as you should have been from the get go).

BTW - as I'm sure you knew (or will slap your forehead as soon as you hear), rooting your phone is giving yourself root access to the phone. The OS is based on Linux.

• Single touch screen so it can't do that 2 finger zoom thing
  • even though it has removable SD cards up to 32GB apps only run in the 512MB internal memory. Security I think. I'm not sure what practical effect that has

For multitouch -- the hardware and OS supports it in the API, just few apps take advantage of it yet. One I've seen which does is the PicSay app on the market, which uses multitouch for zooming.

I've been using the phone for a couple of months (testing it -- I work for Google, but not on phones), and have not yet run into the memory barrier for apps. Perhaps I don't download as many apps as the folks who have complained about this.

I've already exposed my bias -- but I like this phone. It is significantly faster and snappier than the first generation of Android devices. The high-resolution screen is really nice. But if you want a less-biased perspective, go read some reviews.

Chris

For multitouch -- the hardware and OS supports it in the API, just few apps take advantage of it yet. One I've seen which does is the PicSay app on the market, which uses multitouch for zooming.
Last I heard, Apple had a patent on many aspects of the iphone's multi-touch interface. Given the rather lukewarm uptake of multitouch you're describing, it sounds like they may be saying "the hw and sw can do it, and the app developers get to decide just how squarely they want to butt heads with Apple".
-harry

We went to the Verizon store this morning and got Rachel her very own Motorola Droid.

She has it at work with her now, so I didn't get to play with it very much yet. The salesman did a short demo of some of the basic features - it looks really cool! Makes my Blackberry Tour seem pretty lame now. ha! I'm not sure if he was playing 'salesman' or not (we walked in and told him what we wanted), but he said that this is by far the most feature-rich and easiest to use touch-screen phone that Verizon has ever had available.

The biggest thing we like is how much it interfaces with Google. She uses Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, etc., so an easy interface is a very nice bonus.

Will post more as I get to tinker with it.

The biggest thing we like is how much it interfaces with Google. She uses Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, etc., so an easy interface is a very nice bonus.
BlackBerry does that ...

BlackBerry does that ...

I know. I have my school email (recently converted to Gmail hosting) running natively with my BB email client. Content/calendar are sync'able, but requires an extra client that hogs memory when running. I still need to get Google Maps on my BB, though.

Well, my son has it and is playing with it constantly. Downloading apps to see what they do. Some are pretty cool. The cats were NOT impressed when he downloaded one that was a recording of a number very upset cats. :D He downloaded another one called "Sound Grenade". Plays a very high pitched tone that is supposed to be annoying. I wouldn't know. He and my wife could hear it, I couldn't. The GPS app for tracing satellites has a compass, accelerometer and other cool readouts. If it had GSM as well as CDMA I'd replace my Moto world phone in a heartbeat. It doesn't and I don't want to pay for two numbers (in addition to my wife's line), so I guess she'll just have to get it if she wants it. She needs a new phone, anyway.

Does it interface with the programs on my Treo 755 including outlook? I have my entire work calendar and contacts on Outlook I also have a few other programs on my Treo with Data in them and I'd HATE to have to copy everything over.

I picked up a Droid on Friday morning. I'd been waiting a long time for a credible Android phone to hit Verizon. I am not disappointed.

A few observations after a couple of days of use:

Like millions of people, the Google suite of applications (Gmail, calendar, docs) organizes my life and the total integration of the mail and calendar into the phone is spectacular. Log into Google, and all of your contacts are brought into the phone. Instant phone setup (if you've been keeping your Google contacts up to date). Can also pull in all of your Facebook contacts, if desired. I can't comment on the experience if you are still stuck in the world of MS Exchange.

The Facebook, messaging, etc. are top notch and well integrated.

The screen is vastly superior to the iPhone/Ipod Touch, with nearly double the horizontal resolution and 50% more vertical resolution. You need far less zooming and the screen and onscreen keyboard are much more precise than on the iPhone.

Speaking of the screen, contrary to what you may have heard, it is multi-touch. The confusion is that not all software supports the multi-touch feature, including the browser installed on the phone. The Droids sold in Europe do have a multi-touch browser. Some of the third-party apps already make use of the feature. Expect that most of the future software will take advantage of it.

The hardware keyboard is junk, almost unusable for me. The good news is, the on-screen keyboard (even in portrait mode) is so good, you won't care. Previously, I always preferred a physical keyboard. With this precision screen, that is no longer on my list of must-haves.

Camera optics seem to be fine, but the camera software is cumbersome and erratic. Recording videos is amazingly good, though. The problem is with the stills... some are pretty good, others awful. I'll be replacing the camera app with one of the dozens that are sure to come to the Android market in the coming weeks. The open source nature of the phone is probably its biggest selling point.

Phone calls are excellent. Great sound quality on both ends of the call, excellent volume through the handset, speakerphone, and Bluetooth headset, and a physical volume control on the side. The best phone I have ever had in this measure.

Great lock/unlock mechanism. One of the things I hate about candy-bar style phones is the failure of the keyboard lock can trigger unintended calls. I still get occasional random calls from an iPhone friend. On the Droid, the screen lock is automatic, certain, simple to unlock when you want to, and I can't see how it could accidentally be unlocked.

Desktop cradle is excellent. Be sure to spend the extra $30 on that.

The ability to run simultaneous applications is perhaps the biggest advantage of the Droid over the iPhone. Hard to believe Apple didn't fix that with the 3gs.

Google Nav is amazing. I wouldn't say it replaces a dedicated GPS, yet, because of the need for connectivity, but if you have connectivity, the integration with Google kicks GPS up to a whole new level. If you haven't seen the demo of this, you should. It will blow you away.

First impression: Win!

Overall, the iPhone/iPod Touch offers a sleeker, more refined feel, and at the moment, far more downloadable applications. But the phone call quality, messaging capabilities, ability to run simultaneous applications, and open source nature will make the Droid a much better choice for a lot of users. But, if you can wait, I'd probably wait for the next Android 2.0 device that doesn't have the physical keyboard. Note that the Droid Eris that also launched on Friday is a 1.6 device with a small screen like the iPhone and not in the same league as the Droid. If you buy an Android phone, make sure it is 2.0+.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write-up, Randy. I'll be due for a replacement phone in the spring and have been debating on what to buy.

Doe the phone have the accelerometers similar to the I-phone? I read it contains a compass (Ref: the time/CNN link I posted, post #15)

Doe the phone have the accelerometers similar to the I-phone? I read it contains a compass (Ref: the time/CNN link I posted, post #15)

I'm not familiar with the iPhone's accelerometer (so I can't compare), but the Droid has an accelerometer. The OS uses it to set the screen's orientation, so it flips into portrait mode if you turn the phone sideways. Some games use it as well.

In turns of apps, my favourite so far is myTracks -- it creates a trail of where you've been, and lets you upload it to Google Maps. It is meant for joggers/cyclists -- but I used it for IFR training. I would record my flight path during a lesson, and afterwards review it to see the accuracy of my holds and interceptions etc.

Chris

In turns of apps, my favourite so far is myTracks -- it creates a trail of where you've been, and lets you upload it to Google Maps. It is meant for joggers/cyclists -- but I used it for IFR training. I would record my flight path during a lesson, and afterwards review it to see the accuracy of my holds and interceptions etc.

Chris
That's pretty cool, do you get altitude also? Is it GPS only thus independent of cell service?

How much did the app cost?

Joe

That's pretty cool, do you get altitude also? Is it GPS only thus independent of cell service?

Joe

If it gets enough GPS satellites, it does altitude also. It uses GPS, and not Mobile Towers.

IIRC, that app is free, as are most apps on Android.

Randy, I'm looking to upgrade to this in December for me and my wife; where do you go for applications to install? Do I have to buy apps through Verizon like I do now (which I don't!)? I hate their BREW apps/store. I'm hoping the Droid opens up some opportunities for other open-source apps, as you said, and for me to install the next great widget somebody like Jesse writes.

Joe

The phone itself has a built-in GPS receiver. When indoors, it uses the cell towers to triangulate your position. When outdoors, you get satellite GPS coverage.

We used Google Latitude this morning (I installed it on my BB as well) when we were looking for our dogs that got out in the middle of the night. We were both roaming throughout the neighborhood, and I could pull up Latitude and see where Rachel was so we didn't double-cover areas. So, if you ever lose your dogs and have to go looking for them Google Latitude will help the task. I wonder if that was a consideration when they developed it? ;)

Randy, I'm looking to upgrade to this in December for me and my wife; where do you go for applications to install? Do I have to buy apps through Verizon like I do now (which I don't!)? I hate their BREW apps/store. I'm hoping the Droid opens up some opportunities for other open-source apps, as you said, and for me to install the next great widget somebody like Jesse writes.

You open the phones applications menu (slide your finger up), and click on "Market."

Easy as pie. Its actually Android's market, so you'll find apps designed for other phones as well (they almost always work despite being for a different phone. Think of buying software for Windows XP working on other computer types that use Windows XP).

Go Android!

Answers to a few of the accumulated questions (some have already been addressed by others).

1) The Android Market is where you buy apps. For the Droid, Verizon is mercifully absent from the phone, meaning no bloatware, no Vcast, no Verizon apps, no Verizon ringtones. This is a "Google Experience" phone and that is a giant step in the right direction for Verizon. The application search seems to be more powerful and precise than trying to find an app on an iPhone, though the iPhone has far more available at the moment.

2) Yes on the accelerometer.

3) Yes on the compass

4) Haven't tried it in the air yet, so don't know about altitude.

Today, however, I played with a mondo-cool feature. The free Amazon app includes a "Remember" feature. You can snap a picture of any item, or scan the barcode of any item, and Amazon brings up the associated listing at Amazon.com, if it is something they carry. It is also listed adjacent to your Amazon wish list when you log in later. Very, very, very COOL!

You get altitude, but it is GPS derived, and often very wrong as a result. While recording you just have to have the GPS on (and located where it can get a signal) -- it doesn't need cell service until you want to upload a track. It is a free application.

Chris

You get altitude, but it is GPS derived, and often very wrong as a result. While recording you just have to have the GPS on (and located where it can get a signal) -- it doesn't need cell service until you want to upload a track. It is a free application.

Chris
Thanks, that's what I was hoping.

Just a detail but the GPS derived altitude is more accurate than the altimeter, and yes they often disagree. The altimeter is displaying a non-temperature compensated pressure altitude.

For IFR training, I'm interested in how much deviation and when the decent(s) start.

Joe

Today, however, I played with a mondo-cool feature. The free Amazon app includes a "Remember" feature. You can snap a picture of any item, or scan the barcode of any item, and Amazon brings up the associated listing at Amazon.com, if it is something they carry. It is also listed adjacent to your Amazon wish list when you log in later. Very, very, very COOL!

Best part about rooting Android: You can remove the Amazon app completely, something Google should have given us the option to do from the beginning (afterall, its not system necessary, and only exists to draw sales to Amazon).

But , if you're into Amazon, that is a really cool feature! I'd like to try it.

> Best part about rooting Android: You can remove the Amazon app completely

The Amazon app I was referring to did not come on my phone. I had to download it from the Android market. The phone did come with Amazon's mp3 app installed, which, as you pointed out, can be removed -- no need to 'root' the phone.

> Best part about rooting Android: You can remove the Amazon app completely

The Amazon app I was referring to did not come on my phone. I had to download it from the Android market. The phone did come with Amazon's mp3 app installed, which, as you pointed out, can be removed -- no need to 'root' the phone.

Unless there's something different about the Motorola Droid, I think that isn't right. There is an Amazon app that has come on every other Android phone (Both HTC and Motorola) that I've touched that cannot be removed called "Amazon MP3." How does one remove it without rooting it?

edit: In case anyone wants to know how to remove Amazon Mp3 (which is bloatware if its something you don't want/need), you can use the following on a rooted Android device:

rm /system/app/com.amazon.mp3.apk

Last edited:
I think that I'll be going over to Verizon and picking one up now. I will say, though, that the only phones I've seen on this trip to the Bahamas that work have been on AT&T's network. I was very surprised!

Thanks, that's what I was hoping.

Just a detail but the GPS derived altitude is more accurate than the altimeter, and yes they often disagree. The altimeter is displaying a non-temperature compensated pressure altitude.

For IFR training, I'm interested in how much deviation and when the decent(s) start.

Joe

WAAS Altitude is pretty accurate, non-WAAS not so much. Does anyone know if the GPS in phones (specifically my iPhone 3GS) has WAAS?

Chris, you're stating dissatisfaction with your BlackBerry? We may have to kick you out... ;)

Looks cool, although I still prefer having the physical keyboard that the BlackBerry does.

Back