And they're off!

Everskyward

Experimenter
Display Name

Display name:
Everskyward
On the way from Colorado to Iowa the long way.

RouteMap.jpg

http://www.airraceclassic.org/09raceinfo

Here are a few pictures I took of the start. The Citabria in the last picture is Diana's friend Marijke.

Attachments

• Runup area [800x600].JPG
    Runup area [800x600].JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Classic 12 (1) [800x600].JPG
    Classic 12 (1) [800x600].JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Classic 24 (1) [800x600].JPG
    Classic 24 (1) [800x600].JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Classic 29 (1) [800x600].JPG
    Classic 29 (1) [800x600].JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Classic 29 (2) [800x600].JPG
    Classic 29 (2) [800x600].JPG
    38 KB · Views: 38
  • Classic 31 (1) [800x600].JPG
    Classic 31 (1) [800x600].JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Classic 33 [800x600].JPG
    Classic 33 [800x600].JPG
    42 KB · Views: 43
Cool - I just found out this morning that one of the dispatchers at my FBO is in the race.

Here are a few pictures I took of the start. The Citabria in the last picture is Diana's friend Marijke.
Neat! Thanks for posting that picture of Marijke. :) She's had a lot to overcome in getting ready for the race.

10 0f them planned to overnight here tonight but none got here (Russellville). Weather changed plans. Marijka plans ahead. She called here several days ago to reserve a quart of oil!

We are expecting a lot of arrivals starting about 0800 tomorrow.

Great! Do you know what number she is?

No - there was a front page story in the local paper about her, she is flying for one of the K-State/Salina teams. (I don't know if there is more than one team or not.)

Edit: I just watched the video link that DakotaDriver posted. They are mentioned in the video and their plane is shown taking off, #22. Her name is Kali.

Last edited:
No - there was a front page story in the local paper about her, she is flying for one of the K-State/Salina teams. (I don't know if there is more than one team or not.)
There was only one team from K-state. She would have been in this plane.

Attachments

• Classic 22 (1) [800x600].JPG
    Classic 22 (1) [800x600].JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 29
Yeah - I just watched one of the videos that was posted, they said just the one. Is there a place to check on the current standings?
They won't find out the result until the very end since this is a handicapped race. The airplane which reaches the destination first is not necessarily the winner. The winner is the airplane which beats its handicap by the most knots.

I'm rooting for #31, the daughter of one of my mechanics is flying that one.
She's only 18 (too young to rent a car).

http://www.unusually-right-attitude.blogspot.com/
Cool, she posted the picture I sent her which I took right after takeoff.

Classic_31_1.jpg

I definitely remember Jessica because I did her static runup. Just in conversation she told me that she had just graduated high school!

The last one cleared out of Russellville late this afternoon. It was a very busy day. I think 28 out of 32 stopped here. We also had our grand opening/ ribbon cutting ceremony for the new terminal building.

I agree, that's a great picture, Mari. Mooneys always look best when they're flying. :)

FIxed that for you!

True! But on Mooney's it's more pronounced. The owner of the Mooney I fly and I would joke about what an ugly plane it was. When I saw the pictures Teller took of me flying the thing at Wings I got it - they designed it so that when you're flying it looks great. On the ground, egh... not so much.

Mooney changed that some in the later years. All the fine examples of Mooneys we had at Gaston's look quite nice on the ramp, too. :)

True! But on Mooney's it's more pronounced. The owner of the Mooney I fly and I would joke about what an ugly plane it was. When I saw the pictures Teller took of me flying the thing at Wings I got it - they designed it so that when you're flying it looks great. On the ground, egh... not so much.

Mooney changed that some in the later years. All the fine examples of Mooneys we had at Gaston's look quite nice on the ramp, too. :)

I tend to think planes look better when I'm flying them too, Ted. In fact, my mission in life is to make as many planes look great as I possibly can! So, how about a makeover for that Aztecc?? :D

Last edited:
I tend to think planes look better when I'm flying them too, Ted. In fact, my mission in life is to make as many planes look great as I possibly can! So, how about a makeover for that Aztecc?? :D

Get yourself out here and we'll go flying! Where you been, man? Haven't heard from you in forever!

For those who are curious about the results...

http://www.airraceclassic.org/2009standings

Full final standings
1 7 Kelly Burris and Erin Recke
2 32 Jessica Campbell and Victoria Dunbar
***Collegiate: Indiana State University
3 2 Sandy St. John and Linda Pecotte
4 12 Joyce Wells and Thelma Cull
5 17 Louise Scudieri and Nicole Boettger
6 43 Jenna Albrecht and Kimberly Turrell
*** Collegiate: Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Prescott, AZ
7 31 Jessica Miller, Athina Holmes, and Rivka Irene Lev
8 20 Dee Bond and Gretchen Jahn
9 3 Dottie Anderson and Jean Sloan
10 23 Marisha Falk and Hannah Northern
***Collegiate: Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Daytona Beach, FL
11 11 Terry Carbonell, Caroline Baldwin and Lydia Baldwin
12 13 Elaine Roehrig and Marolyn Wilson
13 1 Anne Marie Radel and Julieann Sikora
14 8 Mary Wunder and Alison Chalker
15 5 Juliana Lindner and Lauren Steele
*** Collegiate: Purdue University
16 10 Susan Carastro and Marie Carastro
17 27 JoDean Perry and Linda Street-Ely
18 26 Christy Smith, Susan King and Bernice Haydu
19 22 Kali Hague and Merritt Hancock
*** Collegiate: Kansas State University
20 14 Judy Snow and Sherry Cole
21 24 Roxie Juul and Stephanie Wells
22 21 Heather Ford and Lydna Meeks
23 18 Gene Nora Jessen and Camille Patch
24 34 Carolyn Van Newkirk, Barb Goodwin and Maureen Kenney
25 28 Micah Doeden and Kiersten Orrick
Collegiate: University of Oklahoma
26 25 Cindy Kerr and Mary Unger
27 29 Alexandria Taylor, Barbara McClurkin and Ashley Crawford
Collegiate: University of Oklahoma
28 33 Marijke Unger and Lara Pruitt
29 16 Rebecca Smith and Mae Marquet
30 4 Minnetta Gardinier and Linda Moody
31 19 Sherry Walker and Nancy Aldrich
Incomplete 15 Camelia Smith and Laura Berry

Hmm, that didn't quite format the way I anticipated...

Last edited:
My friend Erin Recke was one of the pilots aboard the plane that won. :D
I remember Kelly and Erin because we sat at the same table during the takeoff breakfast and I took their picture. I think Erin works for a regional airline.

And Linda Street-Ely is a fellow AOPA Airport Support Network Volunteer! She's at T78/Liberty, TX.

Yeah. Erin flies a CRJ for ASA.

Jessica's team came in seventh! Pretty impressive for a teenager on her first race. They might even have won without the engine trouble (bad magneto) on one of the legs.

Last edited:
Jessica's team came in seventh! Pretty impressive for a teenager on her first race.
I was surprised and pleased at how many young people there were. I think there were 7 collegiate teams plus Jessica and her team. So much for the idea that young people are not interested in aviation any more.

Back