...And they say people who fly small airplanes are crazy

Don Jones said:
Saw this the other day, thought I would share.
It is a fairly large video, dial-up beware. This guy is nuts:yes:
Don

http://www.zianet.com/desertauto/dan_osman.wmv

I met him several years ago in Yosemite, him and the whole crew. Remember, there is a guy with him doing the same climb with a video camera. The whole bunch of them is freakin nuts, but they are GOOD.

One teeny minor miss, one teeny rock crumble, one teeny misjudgment, one teeny wrong force vector...and all someone else will need is a ziploc baggie, a pooper scooper and a mop.

Anyone who climbs without equipment is an idiot. Proficient and lucky, but still...

I'll just stick to properly equipped solo backcountry summit climbs...it's a MUCH safer hobby.

That beats anything I have seen.
I loved the leap to catch that one edge... Look ma: no safety net no parachute.

fgcason said:
One teeny minor miss, one teeny rock crumble, one teeny misjudgment, one teeny wrong force vector...and all someone else will need is a ziploc baggie, a pooper scooper and a mop.

Anyone who climbs without equipment is an idiot. Proficient and lucky, but still...

I'll just stick to properly equipped solo backcountry summit climbs...it's a MUCH safer hobby.

These guys are NOT idiots. Nuts yes, but not idiots. They know exactly what they are doing, and their safety is rooted in personal preparation, light weight and low compexity. They know what they are doing and are in shape to do it.

Henning said:
These guys are NOT idiots. Nuts yes, but not idiots. They know exactly what they are doing, and their safety is rooted in personal preparation, light weight and low compexity. They know what they are doing and are in shape to do it.

I agree on the preparation they go through and the skill level they operate at though I'd still call them completely nuts. Problem is they operate into the negative tolerance for errors category. IMO they're idiots for not using even a simple safety line even though they can get away with not using it..most of the time.

Ever see the end results just minutes after a free climber who has a grip point on the rock give way about 150ft up? I saw one in Garden of the Gods (rope climbing only allowed there BTW) about 10-12 yrs ago do just that and immediately fall into empty air. The thud sound defines almost exactly what you'll see when you get to the impact point. It's not pretty. That's why I said idiot.

HPNFlyGirl said:
He climbs like a chimpanzee.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "I've now seen the real Spiderman"

It actually looks a little fake--like the camera was held at an angle to make it look like he was climbing. Not saying it was, just that it looked that way.

mattaxelrod said:
It actually looks a little fake--like the camera was held at an angle to make it look like he was climbing. Not saying it was, just that it looked that way.
nah, man, he was climbing it.

mattaxelrod said:

Lots of times when photographing slopes the images look less steep than they really are when holding the camera in true plumb with gravity. It's annoying when one remembers how steep a climb or ski really was and the PIX/video images don't look very steep at all !

In this case the climber was in a vertical climb virtually all the time as I recall from the film.

Back