And there we go (again)...

Cas Hoefman

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
CH
Another last minute cancellation, I am done with this guy, fired my CFI... What is wrong with this industry?

Anyone has any good recommendations for a CFI anywhere in the US that will fly with my for, lets say a week or so, to finish up my Private?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mark, I can't seem to be able to send you any direct messages, interested in talking more, how do I contact you?

Another last minute cancellation, I am done with this guy, fired my CFI... What is wrong with this industry?

Anyone has any good recommendations for a CFI anywhere in the US that will fly with my for, lets say a week or so, to finish up my Private?

Thanks!
Have you contacted PIC? There's often a CFI nearby so you may not need to travel far.

Not sure I know what "PIC" is. However I am in "The-Middle-Of-Nowhere, New Mexico" and there isn't much flight school / CFI wise out here. The closest flight school / CFI is either in ABQ or Show Low and both are over 2 hours away from me. I am not worried about going somewhere for the time that it takes to get this done, I am more worried about finding a reliable, skilled and organized CFI with access to reliable equipment that is dedicated to her or his students!

Not sure I know what "PIC" is. However I am in "The-Middle-Of-Nowhere, New Mexico" and there isn't much flight school / CFI wise out here. The closest flight school / CFI is either in ABQ or Show Low and both are over 2 hours away from me. I am not worried about going somewhere for the time that it takes to get this done, I am more worried about finding a reliable, skilled and organized CFI with access to reliable equipment that is dedicated to her or his students!
http://www.iflyifr.com/

Altho their major work is instrument training, check out the website and contact them if they will work with you on the private.

I am sad to hear of your troubles.

In my opinion it is unlikely a new CFI will be able to sign you off for your private pilot practical test in a week.

The way I read the requirements in 61.39 it is the responsibility of the new CFI to verify much of what you have learned as well as fly the required lessons in preparation for the practical test. When he completes the form he is verifying that you have the skill and knowledge to pass the practical test.

It may be more cost effective to patch up you relationship with your current CFI.

Don't take this the wrong way but... no CFI is going to agree to get you done in a week without having flown with you before or being familiar with your training thus far. You'll have to get up to PTS standards in a different airplane in all areas including XC even if you've already completed your XCs. I know I wouldn't sign off a student without doing 1 dual XC to make sure the skills are there. It's not a quick process even in the most "ready" of students. I hope you find a solution, just don't be shocked if it's not quick and easy.

... no CFI is going to agree to get you done in a week without having flown with you before or being familiar with your training thus far...

The time frame is less of my concern, the dedication of the CFI is more of my concern. If I dedicate my time to this I should be able to expect the same from the CFI, shouldn't I?

About 1 out of 4 flights get cancelled for some reason. Usually weather or aircraft maintenance. It can be pretty frustrating.

I’d be happy with 1 out of 4 cancelled, it has been more 1 out of 4 flown, if that much!

Never had that happen to me. Got cancelled due to weather a few times. My cfi was retired Coast Guard (an adult). Just out of curiosity, how old is your canceller...I mean cfi?

I take it you’re not currently an aircraft owner, correct? Assuming you’re involved in a flying club or a school, what do the other CFI’s seem like?

... finding a reliable, skilled and organized CFI with access to reliable equipment that is dedicated to her or his students!
unic_butt.jpg

Switching CFIs mid stream ,is not as easy as it sounds. You might want to have a heart to heart with your current instructor. Wish you luck on whatever decision you make.

I went through 3 CFIs for my ppl and did not have to start over. They left the flight school for commercial jobs and I got the next in line. But everything was done by syllabus and followed well so we picked up where we left off. After solo it was basically time building and skills refining until the check ride so all they had to do was verify they were comfortable that I could be proficient to perform to standards. No big deal. Maybe different because they were with the flight school vs a direct hire cfi but it didn’t increase my hours very much if any at all.

Thanks!

What are you working on with your CFI and what type of aircraft?

I spend Thanksgiving with my sister and brother-in-law in Albuquerque every year, and fly into Double Eagle II (AEG). Bode Aviation is the FBO I use, and while I don't have any experience with their flight instruction, the services I do use are top notch. I flew in one year with a sticking exhaust valve and they charged me something like $50 for two hours' labor to fix it (this was on my O-300 powered 172).

The website says they have three 172s for instruction and rental.
http://www.flybode.com/flight-training/private-pilot/

Wouldn't it be easier/better to go to a school rather than try to get any instructor to come to you? Just asking?

Plan it out and come to Broomfield. Had a guy struggling with his instructor while working on his CFI in KSAF. Came up here, plenty of planes, mostly enough instructors. If you plan it out a couple of weeks in advance, no reason you can’t get it done. PM me if you want to knock it out.

Back