And so it begins...

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Got an email from dad this morning. The RV-10 tail kit has arrived. Looks like I will be making multiple weekend trips to Muscatine for the next year or so. :yes:

Attachments

• 10 tail kit.JPG
    10 tail kit.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
That is so cool, Chris. How long are you guys thinking it will take to complete?

That is so cool, Chris. How long are you guys thinking it will take to complete?

Well... We're thinking about doing quick-build wings and fuselage (we've had the 'joy' of pounding hundreds of wing skin rivets) so that will cut down on build time considerably. Rumor has it that a guy up around MSP had a completed tail kit, QB wing, QB fuse sitting in his shop at the same time and was flying in less than 1 year. I doubt we'll be able to do it that fast, but the second time around should be MUCH faster than the 2.5 years that the -7A took. Sooo.. If everything goes well throughout the process, we could realistically be flying by Christmas '08 or early '09.

So do you get the 7 when the 10 is done?????

Pete

LOL.. VERY doubtful. I input sweat equity, but I don't think my sweat is worth THAT much. ha!

Chris,

It's not just the sweet, but the knowledge as well! By the time the 10 is finished the 7A will be a "USED" airplane. Just tell your dad you'll grudgingly take a hand-me-down airplane.:D

Congrats and enjoy the build.

Al

WARNING: Aircraft Spruce is up to their old tricks but this time with a twist. Dave said he's having problems using a BOA CC with Spruce. The bank says the problem originates with too much fraud in Spruce's zip code. Why they specifically name BOA I don't know, I've had problems with all my CCs.

I'm thinking of a Part 134.5 running parts around to the various builders. Cash talks!

Sheesh. Reading threads like this really gives me the itch to build another project. (Un)fortunately, I don't have a place to build at right now.

Haaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We did a complete slow-build RV-7A, first time EVER building ANY airplane, we had to wait on back-ordered parts for a total of 6 months, the plane was in the paint shop for 3 months, and we STILL had the thing flying 2 1/2 years from the day the tail kit arrived at the house (almost down to the exact day actually). So I actually think it is reasonable to expect that we can do our SECOND build, with QB Wings & Fuse in LESS time than it took for us to do a complete slow-build.

Sorry, I'm just pulling your leg. If you've built one already, I've heard the second one does go much faster. Also, as you know there's thousands of unfinished planes out there in garages for years. Best of luck, have fun!

Sorry, I'm just pulling your leg. If you've built one already, I've heard the second one does go much faster. Also, as you know there's thousands of unfinished planes out there in garages for years. Best of luck, have fun!

Yup.. I've read stories of people taking 6-7-12 years to finish an RV project. That's fine and well if you have the patience to take that long. For us, though, we're building so we'll have an airplane to fly! ha.

Second build should (and will) go much more smoothly than the first. Heck, even by the time we finished the first one, we were thinking about how much better we could have done the stuff in the beginning of the build.

We're really looking forward to getting at it! As of last night, dad was already bending the ribs for the horizontal stabilizer.

Yup.. I've read stories of people taking 6-7-12 years to finish an RV project. That's fine and well if you have the patience to take that long. For us, though, we're building so we'll have an airplane to fly! ha.

Second build should (and will) go much more smoothly than the first. Heck, even by the time we finished the first one, we were thinking about how much better we could have done the stuff in the beginning of the build.

We're really looking forward to getting at it! As of last night, dad was already bending the ribs for the horizontal stabilizer.

Dude, I'm so jealous, man. I can't wait until I get my own place...

'grats.

Are you going the full IFR route? I know Van does all VFR but have yet to see a VFR only -10 on the 'net.

Sean,
pretty sure I can speak for chris and say that it will be full IFR. I got chris his IR in the RV-7A last fall.

Sean,
pretty sure I can speak for chris and say that it will be full IFR. I got chris his IR in the RV-7A last fall.

Tony's right.. It will definitely be full IFR. We have IFR in the -7A, and the -10 is meant to be much more of a cross-country plane than the -7A, so it will definitely have full IFR.

I am so damn jealous....

So the next obvious question is, "Have you decided what avionics?"

Glass or steam? Brands?

What is your -7A (glass or steam)?

So the next obvious question is, "Have you decided what avionics?"

Glass or steam? Brands?

What is your -7A (glass or steam)?

We have a combination in the -7A. We have a Dynon D-10 for the attitude indicator, DG, altimeter, airspeed, VSI. We also have the 'steam' airspeed, altimeter, VSI and electric T.C. as backup.

As for the -10, I think he's looking pretty heavily at the Grand Rapids package right now. We have their EIS in the -7A, but they have come out with a full EFIS since we started flying it. There is a guy around MSP (I think) that is close to flying his -10 with the Grand Rapids package. I'm sure once he gets flying, we'll make the trek north to check it our for ourselves.

A lot can happen/change between now and the time we're actually ready for radios. We'll have to watch the market as time approaches.

Well... We're thinking about doing quick-build wings and fuselage (we've had the 'joy' of pounding hundreds of wing skin rivets) so that will cut down on build time considerably. Rumor has it that a guy up around MSP had a completed tail kit, QB wing, QB fuse sitting in his shop at the same time and was flying in less than 1 year. I doubt we'll be able to do it that fast, but the second time around should be MUCH faster than the 2.5 years that the -7A took. Sooo.. If everything goes well throughout the process, we could realistically be flying by Christmas '08 or early '09.

Really now? :D :rofl:

Congrats :)

Back