And in today's Earhardt news....

So they theorize that the engines were underwater during high tide, and then were started during low tide to make radio transmissions?

I did learn something, though...note the sentence I bolded...
It was not an easy task. The Electra’s radio was designed to communicate only within a few hundred miles. The Pacific Ocean is much bigger.
:rolleyes:

So they theorize that the engines were underwater during high tide, and then were started during low tide to make radio transmissions?

Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, could only call for help when the tide was so low it wouldn’t flood the engine, TIGHAR theorized. That limited their pleas for help to a few hours each night.

Sure sounds like that is what they want you to believe.

Silly me, I would have thought a hand operated generator would be part of any survival equipment.

Sure sounds like that is what they want you to believe.

Silly me, I would have thought a hand operated generator would be part of any survival equipment.
Some of us remember these. They probably weigh about what she weighed. (and yes, I've lifted one).

Some of us remember these. They probably weigh about what she weighed. (and yes, I've lifted one).

Must be a different type than what I had. I had one that looked very similar to the picture below, but a whole lot more beat up. I bought back in '68 or '69 from an army/navy surplus and my dad got it working for a couple bucks. Worked great.!! I don't remember the weight but fold the handles up and some one could back pack to the camp site.

HCG_2-with-fixed-and-folded-handles(1).jpg

I'm pleased to hear Ric Gillespie is successfully raising awareness of how Amelia Earhart and Fred Norman died.

With some luck, he'll gather in enough donations to go on another Pacific Islands vacation, errr, exploratory expedition and miraculously find the bones and aircraft of the lost fliers.

I am really impressed he was able to use dogs to find traces of her body at the exact spot where she died 81 years ago. Science is amazing.

Four bone-sniffing dogs were recently brought to Nikumaroro as part of an expedition sponsored by TIGHAR and the National Geographic Society.

National Geographic reported July 7 that the dogs have located the spot where Earhart may have died. No bones, however, were found although plans have been made to send soil samples from the spot for DNA analysis in Germany

I found an error in the article's reporting. They mistakenly used the word "data" in the following sentence instead of "money".

Gillespie also told the Post he understands that he needs more data to support his theory.

Saw that article too, I feel like they alternate Amelia Earhardt and D.B. Cooper Articles every couple weeks or so.

I found an error in the article's reporting. They mistakenly used the word "data" in the following sentence instead of "money".

Gillespie also told the Post he understands that he needs more data to support his theory.
It's just a typo. Blame the copy editor.

The Amelia group shows up in the news every 6 - 18 months with some new theory or piece of evidence and asking for donations. Personally I think it's reaching the point of searching for Bigfoot.

The Amelia group shows up in the news every 6 - 18 months with some new theory or piece of evidence and asking for donations. Personally I think it's reaching the point of searching for Bigfoot.
Are you saying that Amelia somehow made it back to the states and hasn't shaved her legs recently?

All the evidence I've seen tells me that she missed the island to the north, ran out of gas and ditched. Her plane, being light, floated for a few days then started filling with water before sinking.

I'm sorry to be a pessimist, but I have to agree we're not going to get to her in time.

Back