And I thought planes were expensive.

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
My neighbor bought a Mastercraft X55 Wakeboarding boat.

$164,000.000

For friggin' wakeboarding boat?? :confused::confused:

I mean it's nice, I would have guessed $50,000 as top of the mark for it though....

Yea, added up what I was spending on golf and other "junk" I though was expensive. Suddenly an old airplane looked cheap.

But WOW! $164K for a toy... ok, at least there is some travel value with an airplane...

wow!

$200 to have 8 plugs replaced on my Cessna 172
$320 to have 6 plugs replaced on my 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor. (of course, this is the first time I have had them replaced in 10 yrs/75,000 miles. I started to do it myself until I got to reading about it.

It's all what your into. I know I can't afford any new airplane.

just remember, if it flies, floats or F*cks, it's cheaper to rent

I live in the desert. What is a Wakeboarding boat and what do you do with it?

If you think $164k for that is expensive, take a look at the price of a Wally Tender....

Hey, if it were not for fools with money (or credit) this country would be third world banana republic financially

oh wait

My neighbor bought a Mastercraft X55 Wakeboarding boat.

$164,000.000

For friggin' wakeboarding boat?? :confused::confused:

I mean it's nice, I would have guessed $50,000 as top of the mark for it though....

I know a guy who makes about $50k a year who just signed up for a 20yr note on one of those. Crazy.

First find a large body of water, preferably a lake, then fill boat with young people, crank up the stereo and ride around slowly blasting music for everyone to enjoy. Pull into marina, fill with gas and beer, repeat.

Buying the $164K X55 is the same in the flying world as the guy that goes pays $650K for a new 182.

There are THOUSANDS of cheaper and older options to get on the water but there is always someone that will but the newest shiniest thing that is available.

The X55 is a beast. I have a smaller wakeboard boat as well...but $164K?...wow. Ten bucks says that if he is bragging about the cost, he doesn't actually own it....the BANK does and lets him borrow it as long as he paying them money!

You play thoroughly obnoxious music on it, annoying people for miles around.......

Yeah, but what would that boat cost if it were the same age as the airplanes most of us fly?

Or, perhaps a better question is, would it still be in existence or floating?

Yeah, but what would that boat cost if it were the same age as the airplanes most of us fly?

Well, my recently acquired boat is 27 and cost $4,650. A new Sea Ray that's the closest equivalent is just over $100k. So, I think boat depreciation is worse, but there are 40+ year old boats for sale.

Buying the $164K X55 is the same in the flying world as the guy that goes pays $650K for a new 182.

There are THOUSANDS of cheaper and older options to get on the water but there is always someone that will but the newest shiniest thing that is available.

The X55 is a beast. I have a smaller wakeboard boat as well...but $164K?...wow. Ten bucks says that if he is bragging about the cost, he doesn't actually own it....the BANK does and lets him borrow it as long as he paying them money!

You would lose your $10.00

Depends on the material. Wood, very likely as long as someone kept her salted. I used to run wood boats over 100 years old. rivetted black iron is still going to be in good shape from over 100 years ago as well, quite a few good hulls from that era still exist. Aluminum, 30 year life span, steel 25. Steel may be worth replacing the rotten metal, but aluminum all the welds are crystallizing. Plastic composites, hard to tell and depends who built it and how much excess resin they used. Usually between 5 and 40 years depending on weight and use. The older it is the longer it's likely to last (they made them thinner and lighter as materials knowledge grew) but pretty much after 40 years the plastics are all brittle and de laminating from the fibers. While you may still have some boats from <1972 in good shape, the ones from the mid 70s are reaching end of life. If you get into stuff like Mangustas, Pershings, and any of the go fast boats, they have a 5 year life span.

Anything built with a cored bottom has a 10 year lifespan. Most of these hulls are out of service now, but not all of them. Core above the waterline is ok, below not so. There have been issues with cored bottoms de laminating at speed and acting as a huge brake. Something to be aware of and why you sound a hull for delamination or water logging.

Any difference for aluminum in fresh water?

Nope, not a corrosion issue, a metallurgic one in the welds. If you aren't diligent about your electrical and bonding systems and keeping your bilges clean of copper, you won't even get 30years. Workboats figure you won't pass 15 year survey without a 30% value shipyard period. 25 year survey will see you replacing at least 70% of the bottom to get though, and that's either steel or aluminum. Steel can be worthwhile, aluminum typically isn't because you have the 30-35 year pumpkin deadline where you have to cut out and redo a bunch of welds, and it typically isn't worth taking it through the 25 year survey, better to start building the replacement ahead of time.

If you want to build a real high quality yacht that your grandchildren can flee the apocalypse on, you build it out of 90/10 Copper Nickle.

Back