And I thought $60 console games were expensive....

I have no idea what anything in that story meant, how it works, or why anyone, anywhere, would pay more than a quarter to play a video game. I feel like I’m coming down with Pac-Man Fever...

I have no idea what anything in that story meant, how it works, or why anyone, anywhere, would pay more than a quarter to play a video game. I feel like I’m coming down with Pac-Man Fever...

What I can't believe is that there are now people who are professional video game players, and people will pay money to watch them play games!

In fact, it's large enough that there are a ton of people doing it at least part time. There's a guy at work who streams his sessions for a couple hours most weeknights and has over $1,000/mo in income from it, just doing it for fun. Crazy!

Clickbait.

It's 1.4 million Yen, which is about 12k. It's a misleading article. But 12k is still quite a lot to spend on a video game.

Clickbait.

It's 1.4 million Yen, which is about 12k. It's a misleading article. But 12k is still quite a lot to spend on a video game.

Nope. USD. They even have the conversions in the article. And the Chinese don't use Yen.

I play an online game that costs a little bit of money but I look at it as something I enjoy. I interact with people all over the world and it's pretty cool. That said, one of the top players in the game had spent probably USD 200,000, that is in US dollars! And lost it all when he left his city vulnerable while he was offline and other players destroyed it. Just to see if they could. It took them three hours of coordinated work among hundreds of players.

What I can't believe is that there are now people who are professional video game players, and people will pay money to watch them play games!

I can't see this as any stranger than the amount of money the country spends just to watch a bunch of grown men chase a ball around.

Clickbait.

Incorrect. $1.4 million USD.

In fact, it's large enough that there are a ton of people doing it at least part time. There's a guy at work who streams his sessions for a couple hours most weeknights and has over $1,000/mo in income from it, just doing it for fun. Crazy!

My wife's cousin does this, goes through a game's lower levels and builds characters to sell to people. I guess some people out there don't want to work all the way through a game or experience it in its entirety... just want to finish it. I don't get that part.

I can't see this as any stranger than the amount of money the country spends just to watch a bunch of grown men chase a ball around.

Golf? Yeah.

Football (of the American variety): I enjoy that because there's a lot of strategy, excitement etc. and a lot of people with extreme physical abilities.

I suppose to some extent there are some parallels, but with video games I could, and would rather be, playing the game myself. Ain't nobody gonna let me on an NFL field, and I don't wanna get my ass whooped anyway. ;)

Back