Analysis of Reno crash in context of Freedom

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
Interesting evaluation of Reno air crash and its application to living free....

THANKYOU for reminding me of this guy. Great video, the man is very articulate and I couldn't agree more!

He uses poor analogies with flying in an airliner or diving your car. A better analogy would be the dangers of Rally racing or Formula 1 before better safety enhancements took place. This is a race that has about one death every 2 yrs since the early seventies. The level of risk for someone taking part in it, is far greater than an airline pilot. I was just watching "Air Racer" the other day and it's stressed over and over about how hard the aircraft are pushed and how dangerous the sport is. It's dangerous, there's no way of getting around that.

Having said that, I'm a believer in aviation freedoms and the Reno races, though I'd rather see the warbirds preserved instead of being modified into something that was never intended. Unfortunately those freedoms impacted the lives of the victims in the viewing area. While you could say they should have known the risks involved in watching the event, it doesn't change the fact that lawsuits have been filed and many will be receiving settlements for their injuries.

Having said that, I'm a believer in aviation freedoms and the Reno races, though I'd rather see the warbirds preserved instead of being modified into something that was never intended. Unfortunately those freedoms impacted the lives of the victims in the viewing area. While you could say they should have known the risks involved in watching the event, it doesn't change the fact that lawsuits have been filed and many will be receiving settlements for their injuries.

I think you have to argue some level of assumption of risk when you park somewhere that the aircraft are going almost over head. The only "safe" alternative is to agree to watch from five miles away through binoculars.

I think you have to argue some level of assumption of risk when you park somewhere that the aircraft are going almost over head. The only "safe" alternative is to agree to watch from five miles away through binoculars.

Oh I agree. I attend air shows regularly. About to go to one next weekend. I assume the risk that a plane might crash and injure me. Unless the pilot is found grossly negligent in a crash that injures spectators, lawsuits should be thrown out of court. That's not how it works though. People are injured and compensation is required.

Not always.

There is an airshow today much closer than 5 miles to the homes of well over 100,000 people, in San Francisco.

I think you'll have a very hard time saying all those people assumed risk by going home.

Like it or not, if you're anywhere in the north half of the City this afternoon, you WILL be watching (or at least listening to) the Blue Angels and several other aerobatic acts, plus unusually low flying transports. Heck, I saw the diamond yesterday while stuck in a rush hour traffic jam on the Skyway.

Last edited:
I think you have to argue some level of assumption of risk when you park somewhere that the aircraft are going almost over head...
I agree with this and with the sentiment of the video but not with the details regarding the 2011 Reno crash. Anyone who thinks the crowd knowingly accepted the risk that resulted in this accident should review the accident docket, not just the factual and probable cause reports. For the Galloping Ghost it wasn't so much a race as ad hoc flutter/envelope expansion flight test in front of an audience.

Nauga,
and his Cat D test plan

Back