An "irrational exuberance regarding smileys"

K

KennyFlys

Ordinarily this would go into the Spin Zone but since it's satire and the "comment" was just too hilarious not to share with more folks so I'm taking a shot within the hangar. If it turns to spin, by all means send it on over. Meanwhile, I'm still cracking up at the comparison.

It also has pretty good application considering use of certain features on this board. :D

I stumbled across this during other research. I don't even know how it got linked!

http://www.mattresspolice.com/2006/11/fed-chair-speaks-out-against-smiley.htm

In his toughest comments yet about the risks of smiley inflation, Mr. Bernanke said Internet users were utilizing smileys and chat abbreviations such as "LOL" and "ROTFL" at unprecedented rates. He indicated that while rising consumer prices were of moderate concern, what really worried him was the "irrational exuberance" regarding smileys characterizing the current market landscape.

I followed that link out of curiosity and ended up in an odd world. I'm beginning to agree that the country (world?) is divided into two--the real world and the cyberworld. Just browsing around some of the blog links leads you into a whole 'nother reality. Very strange. I'll take the real world, thanks. Extensive blogging is like flying nothing by Microsoft Flight Simulator. Fun, but hardly the real thing, and you can't get hurt. What's the point of living if it's risk-free?

Judy

Have you seen the wireless commercial (Cingular/AT&T) where the teenage girl responds to her mothers questions about the phone bill and text messaging charges with all chat abbreviations? I listened to my 13 year old niece carry on a conversation with a friend on the phone recently. It sounded the same way. It's a whole new language!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed43v6eORo4

Have you seen the wireless commercial (Cingular/AT&T) where the teenage girl responds to her mothers questions about the phone bill and text messaging charges with all chat abbreviations? I listened to my 13 year old niece carry on a conversation with a friend on the phone recently. It sounded the same way. It's a whole new language!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed43v6eORo4
I've seen that a few times. If there were trying to market text messaging to show how it would be of benefit to adults... they failed here miserably!

All I really saw clearly was the logo. The rest, I was responding with, "Huh?"

I've seen that a few times. If there were trying to market text messaging to show how it would be of benefit to adults... they failed here miserably!

No they were trying to convince the parents of teenagers who run up huge cellphone bills by texting a few hundred times each day, that they should switch to Cingular.

No they were trying to convince the parents of teenagers who run up huge cellphone bills by texting a few hundred times each day, that they should switch to Cingular.
I heard a short news quip this weekend this was a problem. Apparently, teens are using the service on a per-message basis. I don't have the service but get a message once in a while. At a nickel a pop, it will dang sure add up.

Back