An Incredibly Honorable Person

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/10/soldier-priest-to-get-ultimate-medal/?hpt=hp_t1

This angel most certainly got his wings, 60 years ago. Thank you, Capt. Kapaun!

"He would come around, saying, 'Hot coffee,' and give hot water to all of us," said Mike Dowe, a fellow prisoner at Pyoktong. "That may not sound like much today but it sure meant a lot under those circumstances."

To keep his fellow POWs from starving, Kapaun would break out of the camp at night, steal food and sneak back in to give it to those who needed it the most, his nephew said.

That earned him the nickname "The Good Thief" from the other POWs.

Last edited:
The bond of servicemen to each other is unlike any other. However, this man stands alone.

I can't add much except - Brilliant!

The bond of servicemen to each other is unlike any other. However, this man stands alone.

I know what you mean, but I do disagree with your wording. He will never be alone. He stands at the front of the line.

I read elsewhere he has also been nominated (if that is the right word) to be a Saint in the Roman Catholic Church. We should all give thanks that there are men like this.

-Skip

Saw this last night and was amazed. What an incredible individual.

All I kept thinking was that this man was the epitome of a true Christian in that he followed the example of Christ (and Buddha, St. Paul, etc.).

It is good to know that there really are people like him out there, few though they may be.

Thanks for posting that, Ben. My dad had high praise for the Chaplains when he was in the Battle of the Bulge. He was always a faithful Catholic, but admired the Chaplains of all faiths and what they did for their men.

You're welcome. An incredible story.

Back