An idiot

If you are in AOPA pilot protection this would be a good time to give them a call.

Hey, one more question - was this during a 135 flight? If it was, that might be one more reason why it couldn't be closed any other way.

I'm glad you got the lowest permissible penalty.

The controller either submits it or he doesn't. He doesn't know if you are 91/121/135.

The controller either submits it or he doesn't. He doesn't know if you are 91/121/135.

True. But once the investigation starts, then (maybe I don't know) there are different levels of actions available for penalty depending on 91/135/121.

I know that commercial drivers face higher penalties in Virginia for the same offenses.

I suspect it comes down to the FAA coming down on runway incursions.

Yes... that's what led to the removal of a lot of the controller discretion. Local controllers here (KHEF and KFDK) said they have no discretion. Cross the line without clearance, PD gets filed.

PD reports have increased due to the Traffic Analysis and Review Program (TARP) being implemented a few years ago. The FAA got tired of controllers hiding Operational Errors so they implemented TARP and ATSAP.

If you taxi on the wrong runway or takeoff without a clearance like the OP did, that has nothing to do with TARP or commonly called "snitch patch." Depending on the facility or type controllers you're dealing with, you may or may not get written up.

From the information given to me at the time, The controllers had no choice because of the circumstances. Taxiied without clearance, took off without clearance, was not able to contact them immediately afterwards until several minutes after the take off.

I do not fault the controllers for anything. It was no one's fault but my own, and I deserve whatever penalty I am given. I feel very fortunate that the only consequence of this deviation is a letter of reprimand. Considering this was a passenger carrying part 135 charter, and I disregarded standard class Delta operations, I believe the outcome is very generous.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back