An Anniversary (of sorts)

colomtnflyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
iAM in AK!
One year ago today, at 12 noon, I drove into the parking lot of my current employers head office here in Texas.

After traveling almost 1000 miles, and about 24 hrs behind the wheel of a Budget rental truck filled with most of my worldly possessions, towing my 4Runner on a trailer behind it, I arrived at my new "home".

I had officially left my former life and career of some 32 years, in favor of following another of my passions, aviation. As unsure as one might be about making such a life change, I walked in the door with great anticipation.

This past year has exceeded all of my expectations. The company is fantastic, opportunities exist for development, and I have settled in comfortably. Though there have been slow times where I was actually bored from not flying as often as I might have wished, there has never been a minutes doubt that I made the right decision to come here.

It was just a few months later that I was led to this site, due to the passing of a dear friend and fellow pilot. As I found more and more information about his accident, I discovered he had been quite active on POA and a couple of other boards. As I had been active on various boards in my past career, it was quite easy to get involved here.

Though I have only met a couple of you in person, I feel I have made many friends here on POA. I hope to meet many more of you in the future!

So here's to a year of committing aviation! :cheerswine:

Congrats Ric - that's exciting and I'm glad that I'm one of the fortunate few on this board who have been able to make your acquaintance in person.

You inspire us all- to follow a dream and make a big change is intimidating.

And I am glad you find PoA to be an accommodating on-line home; you certainly give as good as you get!

Yesterday, I was making a delivery to Jawjuh Tech in the new business school building. The actual recipient was gone but another guy let me in his office to drop off the boxes. As he was signing my manifest, I looked up near the door and there were two plaques, each with a quote. One really stuck with me, so much so I wrote it down before heading back down the elevator. This seems like a perfect time to share it....

"It is never to late to be what you might have been."
--George Eliot
Ric, Congratulations... here's to many more years of celebrating a change. :cheerswine:

I'm glad that I'm one of the fortunate few on this board who have been able to make your acquaintance in person.
I am too. :yes:

So Ric, did you celebrate by working? :cheerswine: :D

Anyone that can survive the Gulf Coast heat and humidity for that duration has earned honoray Southern citizenship, which is just as valid as the native born version...

Here's to more safe air time...:cheerswine:

I thank everybody for their well wishes! It has been an interesting year!

Though I "claim" to be from Colorado (previously Calif), I am actually an 'Army Brat'. Is it safe to say that I spent 8 of my first 10 years living in San Antonio? (the other 2 years were in Saigon, Vietnam...yes, BEFORE the escalation) So how to deal with the heat and humidity was not completely foreign to me. I just had to dig it out of my childhood memory banks...

Sorry, Mari... the closest I came to work yesterday was hitting the liquor store and Sam's Club for some supplies needed for the upcoming trip this weekend.

If anyone will be in the AUS area this coming Sunday evening,/ Monday, drop a note... I'll be overnighting in AUS on the way back from this trip...

Back