An Aero Biplane

Yep, bungee gear. I'm based on a paved airport, but fly off grass a bit. The bungees do make them stiff-legged little devils, but they are very rugged. Spring gear is cleaner and makes ground handling friendlier, but I like the classic look of the stock gear.

So, what would be a good all-around aerobatics biplane? What if you were interested in gentleman's aerobatics, even some of the more advanced competition maneuvers, without the competition?

You really cant go wrong with a Great Lakes, but I am slightly biased. You just cant be in a hurry to get anywhere.

I am willing to bet the last time a biplane one worlds was when one competed.
I haven't gone through all the results here but I guess that '96 was the last time a biplane competed - Robert Armstrong in an S-1-11B in 31st place with a score of 78.64%. Lowest ranking US pilot was Ellen Dean in an Extra 300S at 34th with 77.09%. Highest ranking US pilot was Patty Wagstaff at 12th with 81.04% in an Extra 300S. Robert hasn't commented (that I'm aware of) whether he might've done better in a monoplane at that time.
Worth noting that the late Randy Gagne had a lot of fun with an S-2S in 77th place. Minoru Higa flew an S-2B into 78th place to beat an Extra 300S in last place,

You have to understand there is a balance between how much G you pull into the maneuver and how much energy you lose from doing so.

I haven't gone through all the results here but I guess that '96 was the last time a biplane competed - Robert Armstrong in an S-1-11B in 31st place with a score of 78.64%. Lowest ranking US pilot was Ellen Dean in an Extra 300S at 34th with 77.09%. Highest ranking US pilot was Patty Wagstaff at 12th with 81.04% in an Extra 300S. Robert hasn't commented (that I'm aware of) whether he might've done better in a monoplane at that time.
Worth noting that the late Randy Gagne had a lot of fun with an S-2S in 77th place. Minoru Higa flew an S-2B into 78th place to beat an Extra 300S in last place,

Boy, that's a name from the past. I had my first aerobatic lesson with Randy Gagne at Pompano Airport in 1985. Nice guy - RIP.

Back