Amy Alkon writes about her TSA experience....

I know what you're saying, but...
They don't annoy everyone in the airport, excepts the ones that try something stupid
They don't cause cancer
They don't require cancer-causing equipment to perform their duties
They aren't readily recognizable (they blend in) which I'd think could help people relax.

I don't know any of the numbers, but Training more FAM's and doing away with the high-profile screening theater BS seems more favorable. LE's are expected to have a higher standard of professionalism than the schmucks TSA has patting people down at the terminal. Personally, FWIW, I'd also prefer the agents sworn to perform their duties actually WANT the job they have, and ENJOY doing it. Some of the screeners just don't seem to have that groove.

The big issue is you won't get rid of screenings. They screened passengers before the TSA existed, and they will screen them if TSA goes away.

In reality, the airlines will need to do MORE invasive screenings than the TSA does. That's because the TSA/DHS can evaluate threats and choose to ignore some of the more off-the-wall threats that they see. The airlines, if they do that, will be owned by class-action lawyers before the wreckage stops smoldering. The airlines, unlike TSA, do not enjoy sovereign immunity.

They govern us, we must do as we are ordered or face the consequences. The Constitution? The Bill of Rights? Yea....sure......you betcha.

John

Back