AmSafe seatbelt air bag demo

I've always questioned how effective those AmSafe seatbelt airbags would be in a crash... after seeing this video, I gotta say I'd rather my head hit that bag than that glareshield. Convincing...
Have you been in a head-on collision? Some protection is better than none.

In any sudden stop, there are three collisions. The first is the vehicle (plane) with the object during impact. The second is your body with the interior components of the vehicle. The third is your organs with your interior body structure. Most fatalities occur from the latter trauma. Anything that can be done to reduce the second and subsequent third collisions are going to increase the chance of survival.

I think it's just a matter of time before other airbag installations occur such as in side areas and further protection from the panel.

My only question on this is the amount of slack in the belts - I'd think the inertial stops in the shoulder harness would have kicked in sooner.

My only question on this is the amount of slack in the belts - I'd think the inertial stops in the shoulder harness would have kicked in sooner.

I believe the airbags pop out in FRONT of the belt, not in between you and the belt.

I believe the airbags pop out in FRONT of the belt, not in between you and the belt.
Yes, I know. But that shoulder belt still had a lot of give to it. I was expecting it to be more effective..

Essentially the shoulder belt should be the first component of energy absorption, keeping the body in or close to the seat, and the airbag should provide additional energy absorption between the body and the structures in front. In the video it looked like the belt was too loose or didn't lock the way it should have, leaving the bag to absorb most of the energy. I would have liked to see the belt absorb more energy.

Are these available to be fit on any seatbelt?
Cost?
What activates them?

Maybe they're a bit expensive and it would require an STC, but like ballistic 'chutes, I figure to sooner, the better.

~ Christopher

Dave, Honda has airbags on their Goldwings now....

Pete

EXACTLY my thought. I was really shocked at how far the belt let the pax/pilot go forward. I thought they would have locked up.

Back