Amphibious aircraft instructor question

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
Can an instructor without a sea rating on his/her pilot's certificate instruct in an amphibious aircraft on land? I searched around the net & POA and can't find an answer, so I thought maybe someone here could help. I guess the bigger question is, are amphibious aircraft automatically classified as "sea" or does it depend on what you're doing?

§ 61.195 Flight instructor limitations and qualifications.

A person who holds a flight instructor certificate is subject to the following limitations:

(a) Hours of training. In any 24-consecutive-hour period, a flight instructor may not conduct more than 8 hours of flight training.

(b) Aircraft ratings. A flight instructor may not conduct flight training in any aircraft for which the flight instructor does not hold:

(1) A pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate with the applicable category and class rating; and

(2) If appropriate, a type rating.

I'm sure this question has been answered many times before but I can't find it.

Thanks!

Can an instructor without a sea rating on his/her pilot's certificate instruct in an amphibious aircraft on land? I searched around the net & POA and can't find an answer, so I thought maybe someone here could help. I guess the bigger question is, are amphibious aircraft automatically classified as "sea" or does it depend on what you're doing?
Flight Standards has said that it's the surface on which you're operating which drives the requirement. The Chief Counsel has never discussed the matter.

Flight Standards has said that it's the surface on which you're operating which drives the requirement. The Chief Counsel has never discussed the matter.

Wow, I didn't expect that. Huh.

I'm sure this question has been answered many times before but I can't find it.

While this is the best official answer, the question has not only been answered many times before, but many ways before as well :D

I'm gonna go with.............

whatever the insurance company says.
After getting the S rating, I really don't see why it can't just be an endorsement. It was a piece of cake. Took more time to get my complex endorsement than my seaplane rating.

Back