American Flyers in Santa Monica or Florida?

skynewbie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
checkmysix
Hi guys,

I am looking for feedback on finishing my PPL with American Flyers finish up program in Santa Monica, CA or Florida by taking a vacation to get this done. I've completed all requirements for the checkride but the last two instructors just kept dragging out my training without signing me off for my checkride. I really want to knock this out quickly.

Have you talked to your instructors about why they are not signing you off?

Yes, it's taken a long time, but if there is a reason for it -- and there probably is -- that reason has to be dealt with. Knocking it out quickly is not the point. Knocking it out safely is far more important.

I thought you were just about to take the practical -- and it would be around now based on our last conversation. Did something happen?

I have yet to see an instructor "draw it out" intentionally. I've seen some misplaced concerns about excessively low hours (in the context of checkouts where there is no minimum), but not more than marginally. I've seen some mistakes, but not anywhere near the scale you would need to explain your experience.

Frankly, if you're in a hurry, the last thing you need is a change of airspace, a new airplane, and a new instructor, especially at the almost-checkride stage. KSMO is a lot closer to KLAX than KPAO is to KSFO, there is more marine layer, and a lot more traffic. That particular school has had a recent fatal mid-air, as well.

Last edited:
KPMP has an American Flyers. I can also hook you up with a CFI buddy of mine down here who can get you finished up for much less.

@MAKG my current CFI was supposed to sign me off this week but keeps delaying it. We can talk offline about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

@MAKG my current CFI was supposed to sign me off this week but keeps delaying it. We can talk offline about it.

Ahh, one of those offline only reasons, that doesnt sound good.

Thanks guys for the feedback on this. I like my current instructor and will ask him for a structured approach to safely complete my training to pass the checkride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Many years ago I went to AF in Pompano for a structured refresher. I was less than impressed. No, in fact I thought the operation was total crap.

Been a long time and YMMV but tread carefully.

Back