American Flyers -- any thoughts?

EHITCH

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Elizabeth
Hi folks,
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge/thoughts/opinions about American Flyers? I am desperately trying to "finish up" my ppl, after many (many many many) money-related stops and starts. I have all the flight training requirements done, written done, just need someone to help me drill the final few hours and polish up the manuevers. I've scheduled an eval flight with them this weekend, they claim that afterwards they will give me a fixed schedule and a fixed price to sign me off (I should note they are not claiming I will "pass" the ride, which no one can guarantee). This would be their operation at PWK in suburban Chicago. Thanks,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth,
They do have onsite examiners (that work for them?). Good news is, If you get your PPL through them, you will be able to rent their aircraft from any of their locations without being checked out. That really is a plus if you do a lot of traveling on the road.
When i first started my training, i went and talked to them. The head admissions guy told me it would be best if i could fly 6-8 hours a day. I thought that to be too expensive for me, and went elsewhere.

Michael

If money is an issue, American Flyers is not for You. I "finished up" at their kism location, like you I had all the requirements out of the way, just needed to get ready for the check ride.. Cost me mucho $$$ The rental rate is high the instructor is not. You do not qualify for the "on site examiner" that is conducted under part 141 you will have to go to an DE per part 61.

If I had it to do over again, I would take 2 weeks off and fly every/all day with a cfi of MY choosing.

Good luck.....KD

I've heard they're OK & fast but you pay a little more than with a free lance CFI typically. You know the requirements so don't let anybody jerk you around about signing you off to take the checkride. If you fail a few tasks, the DE will usually just retest you on those tasks only. No big deal.

EHITCH said:
Hi folks,
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge/thoughts/opinions about American Flyers? I am desperately trying to "finish up" my ppl, after many (many many many) money-related stops and starts. I have all the flight training requirements done, written done, just need someone to help me drill the final few hours and polish up the manuevers. I've scheduled an eval flight with them this weekend, they claim that afterwards they will give me a fixed schedule and a fixed price to sign me off (I should note they are not claiming I will "pass" the ride, which no one can guarantee). This would be their operation at PWK in suburban Chicago. Thanks,
Elizabeth

I am not a fan of the quality I have seen come through their program. I have had a CFI that went through their program ask me some questions that I would expect a private student to know before I would send them for a check ride. If you had a favorite instructor that you used during your previous training and he/she is still around I would go to them, as you would already know the quality of training you would be receiving.

Rob Singles

CFI

P.S. Keep in mind I am sure they have some top CFI’s as well I just personally have not been impressed with what I have seen.

Elizabeth:

Our local FSDO is very impressed with American Flyers here at Addison (Dallas area). They have aircraft, sims, lots of instructors, a facility and lots of procedures. In the retail world, there are full service like going to Foleys or Dillards. As when you shop at the mall at one of the full service places, it costs more, but there is a lot there.

The Walmart approach is: cheaper prices, less or no service and some goods are manufatured to different standards.

You have to decide what you want and what you can afford. If you do a lot of study and work yourself, don't mind finding things and checking them yourself and have a good local CFI and aircraft you like: Walmart is an option. Beware that aircraft get sold and go off line and CFIs move or take other jobs.

OTOH, if you want one stop shopping, choice of instructors, and the other services AF offers, they're well recognized and established. All that said, just like a sales person at Dillards, no matter how good the firm, it comes down to the individual instructors you will work with. If you decide on AF, concentrate on determining if the CFI is compatable, not just competent.

Good luck,

Dave

EHITCH said:
Hi folks,
Elizabeth

More expensive than others, but worth it if you're really in a hurry. Best of luck !

Back