American/European cooperation on Mars project imperiled

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
A joint NASA/ESA mission to the red planet is in jeopardy because we no longer want to participate.

Nasa has told Esa it is now highly unlikely it will be able to contribute to the endeavours, which envision an orbiting satellite and a big roving robot being sent to the Red Planet.

More at the BBC.

A joint NASA/ESA mission to the red planet is in jeopardy because we no longer want to participate.

More at the BBC.

Who needs a roving robot if Newt is going to build a colony up there :rolleyes2: .

Not sure if this is good or bad.
NASA sent its own equivalent rover to Mars - it's on its way now.
ESA doesn't have a stellar record for Mars exploration, they still have to perform a successful landing of anything on Mars. Would you participate with someone who has so little experience and wants to take a dive into such an ambitious project? EU could also pull plug on this mission since their finances are also very constrained.
If ESA invites Russians - I only hope they get launch vehicle from them and nothing else. In short - I doubt this mission will ever get off the ground but I wish them luck, they need it.

Too big percentage of this mission depended on NASA's know-how and funding, it is time for Europeans to step up to the plate.

I would rather make sure that NASA goes through with its very ambitious JWST mission than engage in dubious international space cooperation.

P.S. If you look at the protype of this European rover - it doesn't exudes technological prowess, frankly it looks like a grad school project.

Last edited:
Back