American Bush Pilot Jobs?

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
Are there any Bush Pilot type Jobs in the US? Maybe something like flying Hunters in the Rockys or something? :dunno:

I watch alot of Hunting shows and keep seeing Bush Pilots at work and it's driving me insane to do more research on Bush Flying. :crazy:

Alaska. Maybe some in the PNW, but pretty much Alaska and Canada (floatplanes to remote lake resorts)

Are there any Bush Pilot type Jobs in the US?
There are tons up in Alaska, but from what I heard is a little more difficult to break into than hanging up as shingle. As in most this having a network helps you get started. From what I have heard, and do take that with a grain of salt, bush piloting does require some experience, training, and ability to be willing to sell yourself to the chief pilots.

You might want to also look at some of the seaplane schools in Florida and the Pac NW to see about getting ratings and then staying on to teach. That way you can build some hours and make some contacts.

ASEL, ASES, IFR, COMM...the more the merrier. In my conversations with airplane people up here in the Last Frontier, after the ratings it's all about networking and knowing the right people at the right time. You will not be able check the ratings boxes and walk into a job in the bush. There is way too much on the line for the employers, as well as needing to meet FAA minimums as far as hauling live cargo (people) around and through the mountains.

What if I did not fly a Float plane, and only flew Supplys?

The Bush Pilot Era is over. Todays pilots just land off airport. Bush pilots landed at villiages with out runways, flew with out maps sometimes, no nav aids, and list list goes on. You will know a bush pilot when you meet him, he will be over 70 years old.

From everything I hear being a pro pilot sux canal water. Get a real job, buy or build an airplane, and fly when you want where you want. Screw working for the Man.

Get ASES, don't get it. Doesn't matter to me. If you want to do back country flying commercialy, it may be wise to have as many rating that a potential employer may need. Plus, as Tim said, the Bush pilot career is dwindling. Flying back country in AK is more like Air Taxis taking hunters/fishermen/tourists out in the middle of nowhere. As far as getting stuff to the villiages, there are many transport comanies nowadays. Most are ASEL/AMEL part 135 operations. Like I said before, you are highly unlikely to just get the ratings and then jump into a job. You might be able to "help out around the shop" to get your foot in the door, but if that road is taken I really hope you are not trying to support a family. The pay will leave much to be desired.

Depends on the operation, but I'm pretty sure yes with a few 121 carriers thrown in for good measure. Best bet may be searching for companies online and giving them a call to see what they see as a competitive candidate.

What if I did not fly a Float plane, and only flew Supplys?

No one is going to hire a pilot who is not able to perform all of the tasks necessary for the business to succeed.

Prospective passenger: "I want someone to fly me out to Skeeter Lake."

Employee: "All of our pilots are busy except Snag, over there, and he only flies supplies."

Prospective passenger: "What kind of rinky-dink outfit is this? You'll never see me again!"

Bob Gardner

Ferry pilot song?

"So ferry, 'cross the mersey.
'Cause this land's the one I love.
And here I'll stay,
And here I'll stay."

In response to some comments I've seen here, bush pilots (according to "Tim's" definition) are NOT extinct. True, the heyday is fading and most true bushers are old, the real bush pilots nowadays are missionary pilots. It's the closest thing you'll get to the true, rough, no luxury flying. The planes generally aren't that exciting, but you'll be tackling things regular pilots wouldn't dare, and you have the pressure of being the difference between life and death for someone. Obviously, you gotta be a game good flier..

In response to some comments I've seen here, bush pilots (according to "Tim's" definition) are NOT extinct. True, the heyday is fading and most true bushers are old, the real bush pilots nowadays are missionary pilots. It's the closest thing you'll get to the true, rough, no luxury flying. The planes generally aren't that exciting, but you'll be tackling things regular pilots wouldn't dare, and you have the pressure of being the difference between life and death for someone. Obviously, you gotta be a game good flier..
So if someone still wants to be a true bush pilot they should be asking for a missionary position?

:D:D:D

A side-note, most missionary flight organizations will highly recommend one has both flight and A&P ratings.

You're your own mechanic in the bush.

The Bush Pilot Era is over. Todays pilots just land off airport. Bush pilots landed at villiages with out runways, flew with out maps sometimes, no nav aids, and list list goes on. You will know a bush pilot when you meet him, he will be over 70 years old.

This has not been my experience nor observation from many trips in Canada and AK. I know you live there, but all my flights have been conducted by a mix of young guns to middle age men/women with a full compliment of navaids and electronics like the rest of us, and they all had charts. I haven't been as far north as you are, but is it possible that we are splitting hairs on the term "bush pilot"? I don't know, I see lots of them.

There are several backcountry commercial operations in Idaho. Be aware you will not get a job if you walk in with your ratings and no time in backcountry conditions. It takes a long time to get the hours and pay your dues to finally get a job then you will find it is a lot of hard work flying in sometimes marginal conditions for not a lot of money.

A side-note, most missionary flight organizations will highly recommend one has both flight and A&P ratings.

You're your own mechanic in the bush.

And with both you are very much in demand. Took me years to get them off my back.

"Fly for us and help the poor (insert group) people"

"once again, I am not interested in flying a 206 into an african civil war, good day!"

"But..."

"I said good day!"

And with both you are very much in demand. Took me years to get them off my back.

"Fly for us and help the poor (insert group) people"

"once again, I am not interested in flying a 206 into an african civil war, good day!"

"But..."

"I said good day!"

Wow, I'd go for that so quick I can't tell you. Makes me tempted to go get an A&P. Seriously, I've done that kind of travel and love it. So long as I don't have to push or thump bibles.

Wow, I'd go for that so quick I can't tell you. Makes me tempted to go get an A&P. Seriously, I've done that kind of travel and love it. So long as I don't have to push or thump bibles.

Pushing Bibles is getting to be non PC these days so little of that was required. I just had the opertunity to talk to a friend who as part of her journalism course had gone to the same area and had bummed rides from these types of orgs. The pilot was sitting on a flack jacket...:hairraise:

I thought about it but have this thing about being allowed to shoot back

That's always the first/best option but I'd have to have the ability to shoot back if needed.

Back