American Avionics Closed.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Got this off a different web page today.
Quote:
Got an email from one of my partners. We had a radio at American Avionics (BFI) for repair. He swung by today to see how it was going and found the doors closed. It appears they are either temporarily or permanently out of business. He got in touch with the owner who took him in to recover our radio and found it (and a lot of other radios) missing. Seems the workers had taken several radios as some sort of collateral, possibly for wages owed. My flying partner got in touch with the individual who was doing the repair. He agreed to complete the repair and paperwork on it, then meet at our airplane to test it.

Don't know if this is temporary or permanent. If you have a radio in for repair you should probably check on it. If the closure is permanent it will be a shame to lose a valuable asset that allows repairing avionics locally.

Bob

Everyone wants to install new,tough to find a good repair shop ,lately. Avionics are being taken over by a few big shops.

Everyone wants to install new,tough to find a good repair shop ,lately. Avionics are being taken over by a few big shops.

One of the reasons for that is that manufacturers used to sell their service literature to anybody who wanted to buy it. Joe Schmoe could service Narco, King, Genave, and others simply by buying the service literature as needed.

None of the large manufacturers will provide service literature to any shop that does not also sell their products. The little guy has to prove a net worth of a large number of dollar$ before they will consider, plus a bank of test equipment that would put Boeing's avionics shop to shame, and all the rest of it. 99% of it is not required to find a fried transistor in a simple power supply, but there is part of your answer.

Jim

Sad news.

Flying with a Narco radio and X-ponder I feel like I'm one current surge or transistor away from spending big bucks at any time...

Likewise here. An avionics upgrade this fall will eliminate all the Narco from my aircraft. Yea

Sad news.

Flying with a Narco radio and X-ponder I feel like I'm one current surge or transistor away from spending big bucks at any time...

Especially when (if) you need to upgrade to ASD-B out.

Its tough to be an Avionics shop in Washington. Because of Sales Tax everyone goes South to Oregon for anything that costs much. An automatic 10 percent discount. That's the reason Pacific Coast Avionics relocated from Auburn, WA to Aurora, OR years ago.

Its tough to be an Avionics shop in Washington. Because of Sales Tax everyone goes South to Oregon for anything that costs much. An automatic 10 percent discount. That's the reason Pacific Coast Avionics relocated from Auburn, WA to Aurora, OR years ago.

As did Val-Com at Salem.

I was almost set on gulfcoast to do my panel, then I found a small shop here in Texas so far this guys are out of this world, and they beat gulfcoast by 5k on total price, that got me some more goodies ;)
Should get the plane next week

I was almost set on gulfcoast to do my panel, then I found a small shop here in Texas so far this guys are out of this world, and they beat gulfcoast by 5k on total price, that got me some more goodies ;)

:needpics::needpics::needpics:

Where'd you go for it?

Crystal avionics in New Braunfels.
So far I'm really impressed.

Very nice! Any clue what it'd cost to get a GDL-88 purchased and installed over there? lol. That's been the million dollar question I've been asking recently.

I can't upload more than pic at the time?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Very nice! Any clue what it'd cost to get a GDL-88 purchased and installed over there? lol. That's been the million dollar question I've been asking recently.

The gdl88 installed was around 4500 That's why I end up getting the 330es to be done for 2020, the 650'screen is to small for all the traffic and weather I would still use the iPad for weather and traffic, I was in need of a new transponder for me the 330 and the gdl was almost double of just the 330es, I did get wired and a remote tray for the gdl in the future, if ever comes, the 330 es is approved to flight in class A but I doubt the old boy would get that high :rolleyes:

The gdl88 installed was around 4500 That's why I end up getting the 330es to be done for 2020, the 650'screen is to small for all the traffic and weather I would still use the iPad for weather and traffic, I was in need of a new transponder for me the 330 and the gdl was almost double of just the 330es, I did get wired and a remote tray for the gdl in the future, if ever comes, the 330 es is approved to flight in class A but I doubt the old boy would get that high :rolleyes:

It's nice to see the prices dropping a bit. I'm still on the fence which way to go.

:yes:

He also got painted, so no more goodies for loooong time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Maybe this is as good as it's gonna get? :dunno::no:
After the monsoon we got last night, I sure as hell hope not. I have to go check on the airplane later... Those winds have me concerned. Not to mention >8" of water right off of a COE reservoir, and I can't remember how the area held up after Ike.

After the monsoon we got last night, I sure as hell hope not. I have to go check on the airplane later... Those winds have me concerned. Not to mention >8" of water right off of a COE reservoir, and I can't remember how the area held up after Ike.

That little sprinkle? Heck, it has barely interrupted the construction of my ark!:D

Got this off a different web page today.
Quote:
Got an email from one of my partners. We had a radio at American Avionics (BFI) for repair. He swung by today to see how it was going and found the doors closed. It appears they are either temporarily or permanently out of business. He got in touch with the owner who took him in to recover our radio and found it (and a lot of other radios) missing. Seems the workers had taken several radios as some sort of collateral, possibly for wages owed. My flying partner got in touch with the individual who was doing the repair. He agreed to complete the repair and paperwork on it, then meet at our airplane to test it.

Don't know if this is temporary or permanent. If you have a radio in for repair you should probably check on it. If the closure is permanent it will be a shame to lose a valuable asset that allows repairing avionics locally.

Bob

Hi Bob, I work for a small airline in and would like to know how we could get in touch with the owner of American avionics or a technician that worked there. Your kind assistance would be appreciated.

Hi Bob, I work for a small airline in and would like to know how we could get in touch with the owner of American avionics or a technician that worked there. Your kind assistance would be appreciated.

First post.....

Welcome to POA....:cheers:

Can u please advise how I can get in touch wih the president of american avioincs?

Spares

Back