#&(@%&(# America Online

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
So someone signed up under my name and address for an America Online account, apparently last April. Since then, I've been getting bills asking for payment. I call and say I didn't sign up for an AOL account, never had an AOL account, don't want an AOL account. Every time I'm told that I should just ignore it and it'll go away. Against my better judgment I accepted the AOL folks' assurances that I needed to do nothing. Sure enough, the "we're turning you over to collections" letter came today. ARGH!!!!!

I had always suspected AOL was the hand of the devil (postulating the existence of the supernatural, of course), and now I am convinced.

Identity theft sucks.

Call 'em again, send a certified letter, and copy the Attorney General of your state.

IIRC, AOL entered into some consent decree over their cancellation policies.

Had Trouble with them over 3 years ago. Tried to cancel and they kept biling me for over 3 months. I had to cancel the credit card to get rid of AOL. There is another name for AOL; AOHXXX.

Identity theft is terrible. I had exeprience with that just two years ago but I was very lucky and caught it early. Filed the reports and so far so good.

Good luck Ken.

John

I used to work for America Online. Unless something has changed in the last 4 years or so, the threats are empty. They can't report anything to your credit because they don't have your social security number.

They are a pain in the ass, however. I would suggest talking to the Fraud department. They have access to stuff that normal consultants don't. Call (888)265-8003 and ask to speak with the fraud department. They may be able to help you.

Back