Amelia's Landing in AOPA

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Just got my "Flight Training" magazine in the mail.

There was a short article with a photo of an aviation hotel, then a small box next to it mentioning several OTHER aviation hotels. Amelia's Landing was one of them.

Jay, did you know you were in the magazine this month?

That hotel (the first one they reference) is the Hangar Hotel, at Gillespie County (T82), Fredericksburg, TX. That is where my Goddess-like wife and I have a shack and a patch of land. David White met us there last weekend.

As for Amelia's Landing, it's the best fly-to coastal destination there is!

Yep, I saw that but didn't post anything cause I was "sure" someone else had. Doh! When I get my ticket, that is on my list of places to go.

Just got my "Flight Training" magazine in the mail.

There was a short article with a photo of an aviation hotel, then a small box next to it mentioning several OTHER aviation hotels. Amelia's Landing was one of them.

Jay, did you know you were in the magazine this month?

Nope, first I've heard of it! I know we're supposed to be in Pilot Destinations one of these months, but I hadn't heard about Flight Training.

I wonder if there is an on-line version? Google, here I come... :D

Here's the base article on line but they don't have the side bar which appears over the top of the photo in the print edition.

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magazine/2012/May/preflight_after-the-checkride.html

If you go the online version and go into preview mode and go directly to page 16 you can see it even without a subscription. Be careful to not look at too many other pages because it limits you to a dozen and then it will stop working.

The side bar says:

The Hangar Hotel is one of many aviation themed motels around the country. Try Amelia's Landing in Port Aransas, Texas or the Beaumont Motel in Beaumont, Kansas, if you are searching for other locations. Some good web sleuthing and searching sites that list popular general aviation locations can help with more.

The article JESSE AND DAVID'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE talks about this board.

Here's the base article on line but they don't have the side bar which appears over the top of the photo in the print edition.

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/magazine/2012/May/preflight_after-the-checkride.html

If you go the online version and go into preview mode and go directly to page 16 you can see it even without a subscription. Be careful to not look at too many other pages because it limits you to a dozen and then it will stop working.

The side bar says:

The Hangar Hotel is one of many aviation themed motels around the country. Try Amelia's Landing in Port Aransas, Texas or the Beaumont Motel in Beaumont, Kansas, if you are searching for other locations. Some good web sleuthing and searching sites that list popular general aviation locations can help with more.

The article JESSE AND DAVID'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE talks about this board.

Thanks for that.

As for their comment that there are "many" aviation themed motels around the country, that's just silly. To my knowledge, they have named all three of us in the article, now that our old place in Iowa is no longer aviation themed.

As for the Hangar Hotel, it's a fabulous facility, but the article failed to mention two VERY important things that you should know before going:

1. Don't take the kids. All of the rooms are singles -- there are no rooms with two beds. We found this out the hard way, when our kids had to sleep on the floor.

2. The hotel's restaurant and bar are closed Sunday - Thursday. Since the hotel is physically isolated from town, this means no food or drink unless you rent a car or find a taxi. Again, we found this out the hard way -- thankfully, we got the last rental car as the FBO was closing on a Sunday afternoon.

Not "aviation-themed" but well-known in aviation circles and with a private strip:

http://www.chaletsuzanne.com/

Place looks cool -- but they need to update their website more often. (It still says they're "booking up for Christmas" on Page one...in April?)

Not that we haven't done that before. Last year I posted a promotion for June on our site, got incredibly busy, went to OSH, came back -- and found it in, like, September.... :rolleyes:

My wife is holding onto her Christmas present of two days at Amelia's Landing. I am hoping she will take her husband when she does go. We are only 70 miles or so from Aransas Pass and we go often to just eat. There is a trolley or bus that comes to the airport every hour and will take you into town and drop you off (it is quite expensive at $.25 per person). The driver will usually tell you all the good places to eat. Then an hour later he will pick you up and take you back to the airport, of course for another $.25. Usually we eat so much we get off at one of the beach stops, walk for an hour, then he picks us up again and takes us back to the airport, yep another $.25. I have talked to Jay before but am looking forward to meeting him and Mary.
We have friends that have stayed a few days and just loved it. Also if you can make it in the middle of the week, I believe it is quite a deal as far as motels go.
Dale

Hey, it's a whole lot more scenic than Iowa City.

Nemacolin Resort in SW Pennsylvania is VERY nice ... and has their own
runway. Also has a *small* aviation museum.

I'm surprised AOPA had the room to talk about an aviation-themed hotel in between ads for the wine club.

My wife is holding onto her Christmas present of two days at Amelia's Landing. I am hoping she will take her husband when she does go. We are only 70 miles or so from Aransas Pass and we go often to just eat. There is a trolley or bus that comes to the airport every hour and will take you into town and drop you off (it is quite expensive at $.25 per person). The driver will usually tell you all the good places to eat. Then an hour later he will pick you up and take you back to the airport, of course for another $.25. Usually we eat so much we get off at one of the beach stops, walk for an hour, then he picks us up again and takes us back to the airport, yep another $.25. I have talked to Jay before but am looking forward to meeting him and Mary.
We have friends that have stayed a few days and just loved it. Also if you can make it in the middle of the week, I believe it is quite a deal as far as motels go.
Dale

Come down this coming weekend for Sandfest -- one of the biggest festivals of the year. World class sculptors from all over the world compete to see who can make the coolest, most elaborate sand sculpture.

These things ain't sand castles. Some are as big as a small house, and take two days to carve. They are absolutely amazing to see.

We've still got a couple of rooms left, although prices are sky-high for this event. (Well, sky-high for us. $139/night, plus tax. This would be cheap in any big city... :D)

Back