AME w/expertise in Special Issuance? (SW USA)

F

Fred

Does anyone have a recommendation for an AME (or group) to assist in the Special Issuance process, preferably in the southwest USA area? I had a small stroke 21 months ago - no permanent impairment and no problems since - and, according to my neurologist, my risk factors are low (normal labs and BP, don't drink or smoke, exercise regularly, not overweight, etc); he said my risk for another stroke was the same, or lower, than the general population at my age (63).

Also, I was wondering if I might fall into the "4th class" medical category when it becomes effective next year, and not have to do "anything", if I wait for that. (My Medical expired about a year ago.) Or does the stroke mean I'd have to at least get one first Special Issuance?

I would certainly also like to hear any experiences of other pilots who have attempted - successfully, or not - to get their medical back after a stroke.

The only neurological conditions called out in the new law that still require a Special Issuance are:
(B) A neurological disorder, limited to an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following: (i) Epilepsy. (ii) Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause. (iii) A transient loss of control of nervous system functions without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.
It appears from my interpretation of the bill that you could take advantage of the new law and not need to see an AME. You would have to get a doctor to do the exam checklist with you and sign you off, and you would have to disclose the stroke to them if they don't already know. If you apply for a medical you will become locked out of the new law unless it's successfully issued.

Btw I'm not an AME or any sort of medical professional. Just someone who has done a lot of research on the new law because I plan to take advantage of it to avoid the Special Issuance process.

Last edited:
dr bruce chien, peoria, il.

aeromedicaldoc.com

This. If the condition and situation warrant his level of expertise, you will be VERY glad you used him to obtain your medical.

dr bruce chien, peoria, il.

aeromedicaldoc.com

I'm aware of Dr. Chien, and if he was closer, he'd be my first choice! And I still may decide to use him, despite the geographical distance; I'd just hoped there might be others somewhere in the southwest USA that were worthy of consideration.

So it's coming down to the cost of an airplane ticket and hotel room for a sure thing versus not spending that for a dice roll?

Fred,

Dr Bruce is the best at what he does. Why take a chance? If you are able to get it he's the guy to get it done if you're not, he'll be straight with you.

Good luck!

I'm aware of Dr. Chien, and if he was closer, he'd be my first choice! And I still may decide to use him, despite the geographical distance; I'd just hoped there might be others somewhere in the southwest USA that were worthy of consideration.
I live in Colorado and flew there last December. Don't know where you live, but there's a direct flight from Denver to Peoria, not terribly outlandish if you book at least a few weeks in advance. Dr. B has an office at the airport. You could fly in the morning, go to the appt, then fly home, no need to even rent a car or get a hotel room.

Quick look at United (neither Frontier nor Southwest go to Peoria - you'd have to fly into Midway and get a car - I don't recommend it) round trip starts at $300 and goes up based on how far in advance you book.

Regardless of your decision, most of us here would STRONGLY suggest you contact Dr. B by email or phone call, explain your situation and ask his advice. Then ask if he can recommend someone closer to you.

FWIW my reading of the new law matches MassPilot's. But you are wise to consult with an AME to be sure (make sure the AME knows you want a *consultation*, not a 3rd class exam).

Bruce is certainly one of the best, but there may be someone equally qualified closer to you - I'm on the opposite side of the country so cannot advise you. Have you tried asking around locally? In the area where I used to live (Michigan), I know of two "difficult case" AMEs that have never been mentioned here. I only know about them through conversations with other pilots around the airport where I was based.

I am in a similar boat. I have another year to wait. I think I am going to use a local ame, however it will be with Dr Bruce's assistance. Maybe when we get close, Dr B will want me to come see him.

I am happy to pay him as a consultant and let my local guy push the paperwork.

My understanding is that we will be able to fly under the 4th class medical. I want to fly outside of the limits of the bill so I will be going through the si.

I used Dr. Bruce my issues were no big deal but some extra paperwork. I flew out there to have him do the exam. I had FF miles and flew in and out same day. Super long day but at the end of it I had a medical in my hand.

There are two AME's that I have heard of in the southwest US that specialize in "complicated case Special Issuance" medicals, perhaps some of the folks here might be familiar with them and can comment: Dr. Crinnian in Scottsdale, AZ; and Dr. John Phillipp in Glendora, CA. (I have no first hand knowledge of either.)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back