AME recommendations in the DFW area? Trying to get my first class at 50

323PilotTX

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
323PilotTX
Don't have any medical issues I'm aware of and don't take any meds. Should be straight forward but with an EKG involved never say never. Ideally looking to get recommendations for an AME that is also a pilot so he/she really understands the bigger picture. Given the importance, not concerned about the cost. Any help is appreciated.

What part of the metroplex? Andrew Sambell, located on the field at Arlington (GKY) and Stephen Kramer in Frisco are both pilots and Senior AMEs. I'm sure there are others.

I’m just south of Denton in the Argyle area but willing to travel anywhere in the metroplex.

1. Do not go to the AME for the medical, go for a CONSULT first. The FAA is not your friend, nor forgiving.
2. Everyone else will chime in with more details, but I’m on the tablet and long explanations are awkward.

Stephen Kramer in Plano
Hands down.

I’m north of you in Denton.

I would hold off on a first class. Not needed for initial training and it expires in 6 months at your age. Go with a third until you are about to get your first paying commercial gig, then step up to second.

It is what I have done and all has worked well.

Thanks for the responses so far. I’ll take a look into these. The reason I’m looking to get my first class is because most accelerated career type programs I’m looking at require it to get started. I assume the thought is if you are wanting to go the airline route then really no point to moving forward and spending all that money if you can’t obtain a first class medical.

Kramer is close to you. And he'll absolutely do a consult. But if you've reviewed the medexpress and can answer "no" to everything, and have regular exams from your own physician (so you know there won't be surprises like undiagnosed hypertension or diabetes) there may not be any benefit to a consult.

I had a full physical and labs through my personal physician last month. All labs, bp, etc. were normal and showed no signs of anything. I also don’t wear or require any corrective lenses. I’ve got a really old ‘disturbing the peace’ ticket/court case from 1994 when I was in college I have to report but that should be it from a background perspective. Only real mystery is the ekg. Don’t think there will be an issue there but you just don’t know until you know with that one.

Thanks for the responses so far. I’ll take a look into these. The reason I’m looking to get my first class is because most accelerated career type programs I’m looking at require it to get started. I assume the thought is if you are wanting to go the airline route then really no point to moving forward and spending all that money if you can’t obtain a first class medical.
Caution about some of the accelerated programs in the area. There are only a few worth working with.

you and I could get started with Part 61 and see if this is a cliff to want to leap off of. And the ln later you can choose to switch to 141 at a place like TCC at KAFW.

I would suggest getting a thorough physical exam including an EKG from your family doc. Don’t let the AME be the one who discovers an irregularity with your heart.

Perhaps we meet for info and beverages this next week.

Thanks. I’ll add Dr. Fried to the list to check out.
I've used Dr. Fried since my first medical, in the 90s, and he was my family physician before that. He's a fine Senior AME, but a little "idiosyncratic." He's also no where near you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back