Amblyopia/Hydrocodone

brian76

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Hello,

Looking for some hope...

I have a nasty case of Amblyopia and am probably classified as monocular. My eyes are in sync, thank God, in case you're giggling. I just took the medical exam and could not see the vertical yellow line when the test was given; I was able to see the horizontal yellow line. The doc sent in the application to the FAA.

Is this a deal breaker for a private pilot license?

Also, I am currently taking Hydrocodone/APAP 7.5 mg (generic for Vicodin) for some disc problems. The doc about fell out his chair when I mentioned this on the application. I am going to have my back doc write a letter stating that I'm not an addict and have her prescribe something less potent and more palatable to the FAA. Does anyone think this will be an issue?

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I completely defer to Dr. Bruce and our other AMEs here, but I think that the Amblyopia might be accepted with a SODA (Statement of Demonstrated Ability) ride. There are definitely pilots out there certified to fly with only one eye, so, as long as you're able to compensate, I would thing you'd be alright.

As far as the hydrocodone, it looks as if you already know that it won't be allowed. If the pain cannot be managed effectively and successfully with something that's allowable, you may have to do something to remove the source of the pain. Dr. Bruce will have a lot to say on this, and I think we've previously had a thread on pain management on the board.

But I wouldn't give up hope yet! It may have been a little easier had you sought advice before filling in the form for the FAA, though. :yes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back