Am I way off base here....

See if you can do it on your next time out! :D

I know several students who have done so - - - or at least claimed they never noticed it. Could lack of experience at noticing such things have anything to do with this?

When't the last time you drove a car without ABS? That's not remotely a valid comparison any more.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

Did you look at the tire picture? If you have had any kind of training or experience in driving a car or flying a plane at some point during the brake lockup /skid that would have been required to produce that output you should have figured out that you stepped on the break too hard.

The whole car analogy is really not valid... atleast for me. Considering I am under the age to drive a car but still have 80 hours in an aircraft should prove that. My only experience on a vehicle with wheels is a bicycle in which I intentionally skid to stop. Not all wheeled things are equal, do not pretend as such and do not think any experience in a car OR plane could have prevented this. We learn by doing. 'nuff said.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

The whole car analogy is really not valid... atleast for me. Considering I am under the age to drive a car but still have 80 hours in an aircraft should prove that. My only experience on a vehicle with wheels is a bicycle in which I intentionally skid to stop. Not all wheeled things are equal, do not pretend as such and do not think any experience in a car OR plane could have prevented this. We learn by doing. 'nuff said.

Given your stated limited life experience I don't think your in a position to tell others the only way things can be learned. The ability to synthesize new knowledge from prior experiences is one of the things you will learn as you grow.

Given your stated limited life experience I don't think your in a position to tell others the only way things can be learned. The ability to synthesize new knowledge from prior experiences is one of the things you will learn as you grow.

Age is not always a factor of experience. But yes you do have a point.

Given your stated limited life experience I don't think your in a position to tell others the only way things can be learned.

I don't see anywhere where he said it was "the only way". In fact he said "atleast for me".

Please, let's not slam the young for simply being young and expressing their opinion. If we do then they may avoid engaging with us (old bastards) at all. And that would be sad for both them and us.

Oh, and I though his input was fairly astute and relavent myself.

I don't see anywhere where he said it was "the only way". In fact he said "atleast for me".

Please, let's not slam the young for simply being young and expressing their opinion. If we do then they may avoid engaging with us (old bastards) at all. And that would be sad for both them and us.

Oh, and I though his input was fairly astute and relavent myself.

Go back and reread his post. He said :

My only experience on a vehicle with wheels is a bicycle in which I intentionally skid to stop. Not all wheeled things are equal, do not pretend as such and do not think any experience in a car OR plane could have prevented this. We learn by doing. 'nuff said.

That pretty much says we learn by doing and don't try to tell me otherwise. If anything I'd say he was the one slamming. And please don't tell me not to express my opinion if you want others to be able to express theirs.

He posted a opinion and I responded to it. If you see his response he agreed that I had a point when I said there are other learning methods then just doing a specific action.

Go back and reread his post. He said :

That pretty much says we learn by doing and don't try to tell me otherwise.

DO NOT put words in my mouth. That is NOT what I said and don't try to make it seem so.

Last edited:
DO NOT put words in my mouth.
1: It's clear from the wording that it's my interpretation of what you said and I don't think you will find anyone who does not realize that.

2. So how is that interpretation wrong from your quote. Did you not say "we learn by doing" and did you also say that "do not pretend as such and do not think any experience in a car OR plane could have prevented this."

Last edited:
1: It's clear from the wording that it's my interpretation of what you said and I don't think you will find anyone who does not realize that.

2. So how is that interpretation wrong from your quote. Did you not say "we learn by doing" and did you also say that "do not pretend as such and do not think any experience in a car OR plane could have prevented this."

Whatever point you may have had has since vanished...

I'm still waiting for anyone to answer your previous question about how someone could flatspot one tire that much and not have run the thing off the runway.
Simple - the other tire had a lot more weight on it, more grip, and didn't lock. The damaged tire had less weight on it, locked up, and was sanded down without producing a lot of drag.

It's possible to flat spot a tire and not even know you did it until you get out of the airplane.

Simple - the other tire had a lot more weight on it, more grip, and didn't lock. The damaged tire had less weight on it, locked up, and was sanded down without producing a lot of drag.

Terzackly.

Oh, I don't hold tearing up a tire against him, s-t happens and he was on his first solo, no big deal. If it was a place that charges 150hr for a non G1000 172, I would expect them to buy the tire. If it was a $90 hr 172, I would expect to buy the tire pro rata (which in this case would have been full bill, that tire was just replaced withing the last 25hrs from the looks of it). Between that it could go either way, but in a circumstance where it was solidly my screw up, I would buy the tire. Now, if his instructor sent him to solo against his objections or counter to "prudent" standards general to flight instruction. I'd say about 3 consecutive flights where the landings were consistent with no intervention and no doubt about a "safe" conclusion would be a good standard. If he was in those standards, then you can't really fault the instructor, you have to solo em sometime.... I'm not looking to find fault, just pointing out that he screwed the tire on his own merits, so pay for it and get on with it....

Best post in the thread. +1000

And please don't tell me not to express my opinion if you want others to be able to express theirs.

John,

He expressed an opinion. You made a personal attack/slam. There is a big difference between the two.

Tim;
I disagree with your characterization of my comments as being a slam or a personal attack. He made a statement and I disagreed and said why I disagreed.

Tim;
I disagree with your characterization of my comments as being a slam or a personal attack. He made a statement and I disagreed and said why I disagreed.

You said he was too young to have a valid opinion...that's a slam.

Tim;
You really need to go back and reread that post. It was not a slam nor did I say he did not have a valid opinion. I said he did not have the background to say that his preferred method of learning was the only one for everyone.

Back