Always be nice to the people with whom you work...

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
...and maybe, just maybe, when you find yourself landing at an unplanned stop after getting electrical smoke in the cabin, their parents, who just happen to live in the city where you landed, will loan you their car to get home.

15 minutes out of Sugar Land, strong burning-insulation smell, some visible smoke, jumping alternator gauge needle- master and alt off, smoke stops, quick return to dead-reckoning ("oh, there's that pesky lake...!"), whip out the ol' handheld (charged, thank goodness).

Good to land. Better to find people on the ground to help.

Now, how to get that plane back, and those folks' car back to them?

There was a post about a CardRG (same type?) on the red board just now, kmyf no electrics but they landed gear up it sounds like.
Nice job, Spike.

good work spike. it is good to have friends in every town with an airport.

Well, it was in fact a wire shorting to ground, legitimate problem. All fixed, so I drove back down EARLY this morning, got the plane, had a delightful flight back home.

All better.

AdamZ said:
Good work my friend. Glad your safe. Were you alone?

Nope, Celia and Tomster were along. Celia's a heckuva co-pilot, very calm and helpful. She was very glad to be on the ground when we got there, though.

Tommy, upon being told that we were going to land because the plane had a problem, said "OK," and went back to his Game Boy. No worries.

SCCutler said:
Tommy, upon being told that we were going to land because the plane had a problem, said "OK," and went back to his Game Boy. No worries.

Thats awesome spike. you got that kid signed up for lessons yet? hes gonna make a helluva PIC someday.

tonycondon said:
Thats awesome spike. you got that kid signed up for lessons yet? hes gonna make a helluva PIC someday.

Tony, I imagine he's gonna get some stick time is engine-free-aircraft next summer. He's well aware that he can take glider lessons, and has promised that he will read the required materials, too.

By the way: suggestions for Christmas tree books on-topic, Mr. Instructor Glider Dude?

Well I read the Glider Flying Handbook from the FAA. Bob Wander's books are also good, he is a friend of mine and a very good friend of Matts. www.bobwander.com There are many others available. some i just saw on Bobs website that I have heard good things about are Gliding by Derek Piggot (his autobiography Delta Papa is excellent too) and The Joy of Soaring. There seem to be oogles of great gliding books that are pretty much a printed hangar flying session. All are very good. For your viewing pleasure, I have heard that the Sporty's glider DVD is good, although aimed at the transition pilot like you instead of a pure pilot like Tommy. The ultimate though is the Sunship Game which is tough to get, but try email Burt Compton through www.flygliders.com and tell him Matt and I sent you. Let me know if you happen across anything else, Ill let you know what I know about it!

Back