Alton Bay Iceport

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
Is there anything to do at this place? I thought of taking the Twinkie up there to experience the ice runway, and I need to find something my wife would enjoy for the day, or maybe a weekend.

Is there anything to do at this place? I thought of taking the Twinkie up there to experience the ice runway, and I need to find something my wife would enjoy for the day, or maybe a weekend.
The place is pretty dead. Your best bet is to plan the trip to coincide with their winter festival in mid-Feb and watch the submarine races... :confused: At least that draws a crowd with vendors selling food, hot chocolate, etc., helicopter rides and a bed race on the ice runway (which was closed for 30 minutes by NOTAM for the races the year I was there), and other assorted wholesome fun....

-Skip

Attachments

• alton bay 038.jpg
    alton bay 038.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Alton Bay Aerial photo.jpg
    Alton Bay Aerial photo.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Alton Bay B18 2-15-09 003.jpg
    Alton Bay B18 2-15-09 003.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Alton Bay B18 2-15-09 008.jpg
    Alton Bay B18 2-15-09 008.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I'd LOVE to go up there looks like fun. A2 will hopefully chime in he has been there a few times

I'd LOVE to go up there looks like fun. A2 will hopefully chime in he has been there a few times
But if there is little to nothing to do, it will be nigh on impossible to talk the "passenger" in to using the sizable quantity of AMU's it takes to fly Twinkie that distance and back again. It's a little more than a $100 hamburger run.

A bunch of purple board people plan to meet up there for the carnival. They had a blast last year.

Submarine races???

You don't know what that is?

Did you ever watch happy days as a kid?

ya know you take a date to the lake and " watch the submarine races"

Did you ever have a date? Besides Kent I mean:rofl:

The ice runway is not yet ready for 2011. A couple of days ago, the ice was only 11" thick which is not enough for the plowing equipment (let alone landing aircraft). Since then, there has been a heavy snowstorm with about a foot of snow.

Do not go there yet.

Did you ever have a date? Besides Kent I mean:rofl:

we always called that "Parking".

A bunch of purple board people plan to meet up there for the carnival. They had a blast last year.

They finally got their psych evals back from the testing center.

Box of Rocks].jpg

Wow you old timers sure have some weird Euphemisms....

:cornut:

Alton Bay iceport did not open this winter due to poor ice. Try again next year.

Any word on this year? Google search only shows a bunch of old meetup.com events and this thread.

The ice runway is not yet ready for 2011. A couple of days ago, the ice was only 11" thick which is not enough for the plowing equipment (let alone landing aircraft). Since then, there has been a heavy snowstorm with about a foot of snow.

Do not go there yet.

How about 2012?

HR
I just got an answer from the airport manager. They have about 3 inches of ice and need to have about 12 inches before they start plowing out a runway. At the moment, they are expecting that this weekend the ice may thicken enough to start working on it.

The equipment is being readied now and if you keep checking NOTAMs, they will be the best source of finding out the state of the ice runway.

Any word on this year? Google search only shows a bunch of old meetup.com events and this thread.

Here is a reprint of information which was publicized today by one of our local aviators:

"Alton Bay, New Hampshire's ice runway is open. For more up to date information call 603-875-3498.
For more information on events in NH including this season's events at Hampton Field go to WWW.NEWHAMPSHIREPILOTS.ORG"

HR

Alton gearing up for Winter Carnival Feb. 19
ALTON — Punxsutawney Phil declared six more weeks of winter, setting the stage
for winter carnival in Alton Sunday, Feb. 19, at the bay. Alton Business Association
Chair Paul LaRochelle and Winter Carnival Committee Chair Steve Bell state current
ice conditions are favorable for the carnival to be on the ice. Should ice conditions
deteriorate in the next week, Bell is ready to execute Plan B, which is utilizing the
town's parking lot down at the Bay. Bell and his committee are in the final stages of
preparations. Bell states next week's Baysider will have a complete schedule of events and flyers are located in local businesses and there's something for everyone to enjoy.

The day begins at 8 a.m. with a breakfast at the community center.The bobhouse
decorating contest is open from 8 a.m. to noon, with the winner being announced at 12:45 p.m. (VOTE for RIVER RAT!!!) Enjoy a fun filled family day with entertainment at the bandstand with the DJ, visit with the Ice Princess, (portrayed by Argie's Wife?) create your crazy hat for the crazy hat contest, enter the scavenger hunt at 1:30 p.m., from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., kids young and old can
make caricatures, enter all the games, enter the kids’ fishing derby, watch the Alton
K9 demonstration, enjoy sleigh rides or for those more daring, helicopter rides. At
2:45 p.m., line up and watch the traditional bed race parade with the race taking
place at 3 p.m., ice conditions permitting. Throughout the day enjoy free hot dogs, hamburgers, chili, fries, sausage with onions and peppers, coffee, hot chocolate, soda and water. Bell and LaRochelle take this opportunity to thank the ABA members for their support as well as local businesses and organizations who have supported this event.Thank you to the town of Alton representatives, Alton
Police Department and Fire Department and most importantly the residents of
the community. The ABA invites everyone to come out and enjoy community spirit

with family, friends and neighbors.

Great Alton Bay Bed Race returns Feb. 19

ALTON — Meredith Village Savings Bank and the Alton Parks and Recreation
Department are sponsoring the exciting Great Alton Bay Bed Race during the annual
Winter Carnival on Sunday, Feb. 19. Get outside and join in the fun. Great prizes will be awarded. The bed race is scheduled to start at 3 p.m. near the Alton Bay ice bandstand on Lake Winnipesaukee. In the event of poor ice conditions, the race will not be held. To participate in the bed race, participants create a bed, put skis on the bottom and a push bar across the head and foot of the bed. A five-person team, four people pushing and one person riding, race the bed from the start to the finish line. Themed beds are always a hit. Cleats or spikes are not permitted and the bed rider is advised to wear a helmet. Pre-registration is required by Feb. 15. Call 875-0109 or e-mail parksrec@alton. nh.gov to sign up. The Great Alton Bay Bed Race is a great tradition for any family or organization to participate in, either by entering a bed or by watching this exciting race. For more information contact the Alton Parks and Recreation Department at 875-0109. Alton Bay Winter Carnival Join in the fun at the annual Winter Carnival scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 19, in
Alton Bay. Please note the public boat ramp access to the lake/ice will be closed to motorized traffic from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., please find an alternate route.

Also: http://altonbay.org/docs/WinterCarnival2012.pdf

It appears the festival is on.

I'm thinking of flying up to Alton Bay this weekend. Any local tips, apart from check the NOTAMs and phone in advance?

Flew up there yesterday.
What a great experience.
Might have one more weekend.
I suggest this destination highly, call for runway conditions.

Back