Altitude and the Aerocruze 100 (TruTrak) Autopilot

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
This probably an Avidyne IFD 540 and/or TruTrak (Aerocruze 100) question.

Let's say I'm 20 miles from an initial approach fix (IAF), and that the altitude I need to be at is 4,000 at the IAF. I'm flying the magenta line to the IAF with GPSS. My current altitude is 10,000. Is there a way I can program either the IFD 540 or the Aerocruze 100 to automatically start a descent so that I am at 4,000 at or before the IAF? I understand I can manually take the AP out of altitude hold and start a descent, but I'm wondering if there's a way to have the AP or the IFD do it without me having to intervene (other than to do some initial set-up/programing).

Thanks!

Sure sounds like something the manual would be able to answer

That’s called VNAV, definitely possible with GFC 500 and GTNs, don’t know about IFD and TT.

I think a manual tells you what it CAN DO. If it’s not in the manual or u don’t have some kind of VNAV equivalent button, then it prob doesn’t do it.

You are likely correct, but I was hoping some smart pilot would have figured it out...if it was somehow possible.

I've never flown with a IFD 540 - but what you're basically asking for is VNAV guidance to a custom crossing restriction. FWIW, I've only seen capability like that with airline FMS systems, Airbus being the most intuitive at it IMO.

If the IFD 540 is anything like the Garmin's it copied, it will let you program in a descent timer that will do some maths for you. However, AFAIK, it does not cause the Vnav needle to come-alive and guide you. It is way more work than doing it in your head and I've never seen anyone use it in the real world.

AFAIK, on most of this GA stuff, the only time the VNAV needle is going to come-alive and provide vertical guidance is if you are on the published portion of an appropriate approach that has been loaded/activated.

Last edited:
've never flown with a IFD 540 - but what you're basically asking for is VNAV guidance to a custom crossing restriction. FWIW, I've only seen capability like that with airline FMS systems, Airbus being the most intuitive at it IMO.
Can do that with a Garmin GTN6/750 no problem at all. With a GFC500 or similar, it will fly the vertical with no pilot input once the crossing restriction is put in and VNAV is active.

Search for "Enroute Descents" in the manual, think that's the Avidyne term for it. From what I read, it's a bit behind the Garmin VNAV, more like the VCALC it had previously.

Can do that with a Garmin GTN6/750 no problem at all. With a GFC500 or similar, it will fly the vertical with no pilot input once the crossing restriction is put in and VNAV is active.
Good to know. I've had a lot more time behind the 430/530 series.

Back