Altimeter

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Anyone got an altimeter laying around for sale? The one in my glider is original equipment i believe (1965) and is a couple hundred feet off when set to local altimeter setting. Now this is typical of most gliders in our club, but i think it would be nice to be able to update the setting on cross countries and not have to remember that im actually 200 feet higher than whats displayed (better than 200 feet low i guess)

A knots airspeed indicator without any markings on the face would be nice too. same story, mines old, its in mph. knots are so much better.

Isn't there a way to calibrate the altimeter you have? I am not an instrument guy but it seems that there should be some sort of screw adjustment on something that cost so much.

You can adjust the thing quite easily, you know.

Next to the Kollsman knob is a small screw. Take it out. Set the altimeter needle to field elevation. Straighten a paper clip and stick it into the screw hole. There is a small metal ring that you need to slide to the outside, away from the knob. That unlocks the knob. Pull the knob out and adjust the kollsman setting to the current altimeter setting. Push the knob back in. Reinsert the screw.

However, one of my altimeters does not have the screw. I don't know how to adjust it in that case. :)

hmm guess i didnt know that, will check it out
thanks guys

tonycondon said:
A knots airspeed indicator without any markings on the face would be nice too.

What's the difference between a knots ASI and an mph ASI if there are no markings on the face? :dunno:

Other problem is, the V-speeds in your POH are probably mph.

Knots are overrated. I often forget about Knots since my Cherokee is in MPH. :D

tonycondon said:
Anyone got an altimeter laying around for sale? The one in my glider is original equipment i believe (1965) and is a couple hundred feet off when set to local altimeter setting. Now this is typical of most gliders in our club, but i think it would be nice to be able to update the setting on cross countries and not have to remember that im actually 200 feet higher than whats displayed (better than 200 feet low i guess)

A knots airspeed indicator without any markings on the face would be nice too. same story, mines old, its in mph. knots are so much better.

Well, I guess this will display my ignorance - but you take your glider on cross countries?!?

I do too, but my glider is manufactured by Cessna and has a propeller on the front to get me between thermals. ;)

oh yes cross country glider flying is the best. quite challenging and rewarding to complete a goal. ts quite an adventure.

Knots vs. MPH. We measure climb in 100's of feet per minute. 100 feet per minute is 1 knot. with a knots airspeed indicator and a FPM variometer i can easily tell what my glide angle is going to be. (airspeed - headwind)/descent Its a piece o cake. Plus the glide polars are all printed in knots airspeed and knots of descent. converting the units sucks. currently my fpm vario is not working, so I have a feet per second variometer and a mph airspeed indicator, and just guess on the optimal speed to fly.

no markings- i meant no green arc or white arc. really there is no difference between the actual functionality of the instrument. I guess I could just repaint the face with knots. The limiting airspeeds are all placarded on my glider, its experimental, no POH. Those could easily be converted to knots.

Back