Altimeter Read Backs, Yea or Nay?

And there's no regulatory requirement for pilots to read back anything (though controllers are required to receive readbacks for certain taxi restrictions).

However, the AIM is best practice and we do strive to use best practices.

Try omitting the readback of a "hold short" instruction and see what it gets you.

Bob

If you're going to read back the altimeter, use the correct abbreviated call sign, which includes a prefix (either N, your make, or your model) followed by the last three characters of your call sign.

"3001, 11C" vs "3001, November 11C" makes the readback much easier for a controller to understand. ("Did he read back 3001 or 3011?")

"3001, 30E" vs "3001, Cessna 30E." ("Did he read back 3003 or 3013?")

My guess is there was an incident once where someone went below the DH or MDA because of a bad altimeter setting.
Didn't a Thunderbird pancake his F16 because of a bad altimeter a few years ago?
Always read back with full N number unless they are calling me by short form.

Nate, you just provided a favorite you tube channel.

Only if it's substantially different than the last setting, otherwise I just acknowledge it by giving my tail number so they know I heard them.

I don't see anyplace where the AIM specifically recommends reading back the altimeter setting, so I guess it's a matter of personal preference. For airborne aircraft, AIM 4-4-7b recommends reading back altitude assignments, vectors, and runway
assignments.

Back