Altimeter Read Backs, Yea or Nay?

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Does it clog up the airwaves or do controllers want to hear us read back the altimeter setting?

As a pilot I read it back maybe half the time. I at least acknowledge it. When I don't read it back, never been told by ATC to read it back.

As a former controller, never once told a pilot to read back the altimeter if they omitted it. Only things I was concerned with were runway assigment, hold short instructions, vectors and altitude read backs.

Last edited:
Sometimes, other times I'll just acknowledge.

Only time I always read it back is when it's a large jump from my current setting.

I almost always read it back just out of habit, but it's pretty spurious. Most times (other than right before you start an approach) getting it wrong is going to be caught otherwise and it's really hard to get it wrong.

I read back, but without the call sign and omitting the leading digit, so it takes about the same as the call sign alone.
ATC: "Bugsmasher 78C, radar contact, 10 north of Podunk, altimeter 3015."
Me: "Zero-one-five."

I read back, but without the call sign and omitting the leading digit, so it takes about the same as the call sign alone.
ATC: "Bugsmasher 78C, radar contact, 10 north of Podunk, altimeter 3015."
Me: "Zero-one-five."

Really the minimum information that the controller wants to hear is at least reply with your ID. The "zero one five" isn't required from their end. Although I'd say the vast majority of controllers won't care.

I thought AIM calls for a readback. But it's been a while since I read that thick book.

Let's hear from the controllers! :)

It's not a required read back item in the .65. Initial check in with your altitude is only because ATC must validate your mode C.

I don't read it back unless I think I might have misunderstood it.

Every time I have not read it back, and it hasn't mattered whether it was center or approach they have always asked me to verify I've gotten the altimeter setting.

I thought AIM calls for a readback. But it's been a while since I read that thick book.

Let's hear from the controllers! :)

...a gentle elbow in the ribs: Changes are published at approximately six month intervals, and if you take the time to go to www.faa.gov and read the latest change you will realize just how sweeping some of those changes can be. For my part, I can pick it up, let it fall open to a random page, and learn something new (or recall something that I had forgotten) every time.

Bob Gardner

I read it back to kinda-sorta acknowledge that I can hear them too... Without the read back I feel unresolved.

"XYZ Center, N12345, level 7,500"
"N12345, XYZ Center, Altimeter 29.99"
"29.99 N12345"

For me, hearing the read back of the altimeter (assuming I am not issuing you some other instruction) tells me a few things. First, that you have the current setting for my separation purposes. Second, that you can hear me on the radio - getting that read back tells me you can understand me. Finally, that I can understand YOU.

But in reality, where I work I'm issuing other instructions besides the altimeter setting, so it becomes a moot point.

I am sure this post will go bad fast, especially with out official documentation to back it up.

But my short version of what to read back.

1. Always read back anything they ask me to do, be sure to include specific runway numbers.
2. Always read back anything with the word "cleared" in it.
3. Otherwise just acknowledge I heard them, if traffic advisory I am either "looking" or they are "in sight"

Brian

I read back with an abbreviated call sign:

"Three zero one five, niner charlie tango."

I agree abbreviated acknowledgement works well.

Acknowledge with call sign only. Have never had any questions on this.

Check in with atc,they acknowledge with altimeter setting. Reply with aircraft n#

Interesting, altimeter is often the only thing I read back from a more lengthy ATC call. Now that I think about it, even if AIM says to do it, I wonder if it makes any difference to them.

Interesting, altimeter is often the only thing I read back from a more lengthy ATC call. Now that I think about it, even if AIM says to do it, I wonder if it makes any difference to them.
Readback used to be required in Air Force. Don't know if that's changed.

Controllers have a requirement to obtain read backs of ATC instructions and clearances and ensure they are correct. I suppose it could be argued that giving the altimeter is an instruction. I don't ever remember the subject coming up before. I do remember getting bad altimeter read backs and correcting them.

Readback used to be required in Air Force. Don't know if that's changed.

Yeah it's a military thing. I think the wording said to read back altimeter settings if conducting an IAP or before conducting a high altitude penetration. Can't remember where's it's written though.

Edit: AP/1

Last edited:
As a pilot I read it back maybe half the time. I at least acknowledge it. When I don't read it back, never been told by ATC to read it back.
I've never been asked to read it back, but when I first got my instrument rating and started flying IFR, I found when checking in with a new controller, that if I didn't at least acknowledge with my call sign, the controller would ask me to confirm.....basically to make sure that we had two-way comms.

So I typically will reply to the altimeter setting with call sign.

I never ignore the altimeter setting call out.

Typically "29.99...5-niner-8"
If a busy frequency which it can often be down in SoCal: a quick "Roger...5-niner-8"

It is a judgement call based on the radio traffic

Yeah it's a military thing. I think the wording said to read back altimeter settings if conducting an IAP or before conducting a high altitude penetration. Can't remember where's it's written though.

My guess is there was an incident once where someone went below the DH or MDA because of a bad altimeter setting.

Personally, I read it back, followed by my (abbreviated) tail number. The second or two it takes is trivial in the long run, and I like to be sure I heard it correctly.

...a gentle elbow in the ribs: Changes are published at approximately six month intervals, and if you take the time to go to www.faa.gov and read the latest change you will realize just how sweeping some of those changes can be. For my part, I can pick it up, let it fall open to a random page, and learn something new (or recall something that I had forgotten) every time.

Bob Gardner

I tried that and my iPad stayed on the same page.

;)

I always say an abbreviated read-back. My favorite is 29.99 so I get to say "Niner-Niner-Niner" real fast. :)

In PPL training was taught to read back "anything with numbers in it" - always made good sense to me.
Chief instructor was former Air Force - so maybe it is a Military thing.

In PPL training was taught to read back "anything with numbers in it" - always made good sense to me.
Chief instructor was former Air Force - so maybe it is a Military thing.

You SHOULD read back numbers as AIM guidance. Specific read back of the altimeter is a military thing though.

If you're going to read back the altimeter, use the correct abbreviated call sign, which includes a prefix (either N, your make, or your model) followed by the last three characters of your call sign.

"3001, 11C" vs "3001, November 11C" makes the readback much easier for a controller to understand. ("Did he read back 3001 or 3011?")

"3001, 30E" vs "3001, Cessna 30E." ("Did he read back 3003 or 3013?")

The AIM is not regulatory in nature
And there's no regulatory requirement for pilots to read back anything (though controllers are required to receive readbacks for certain taxi restrictions).

However, the AIM is best practice and we do strive to use best practices.

Sometimes I will, other times Ill just say "roger", my callsign, or double tap the mic.

It can depend, at times aviation shorthand can be used, especially on a busy freq.

There are all types of ways to be aware of the local altimeter setting, XM, awos, approach freqs, etc.

With the accuracy of many older a/c altimeters, what's 40' among friends?

Back