Altimatic IIIc / Century III Behavior

BGF_Yankee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
BGF_Yankee
Even though it is a 40 year old system, the Altimatic IIIc in my Lance does pretty well. Everything seems to function just the way it is supposed to, but it does exhibit one very strange behavior. Not every time, but sometimes, while either altitude hold or pitch hold is activated, when you command a turn to the right, the plane will pitch up very abruptly. Doesn't happen every time, and only happens when commanding a right turn, never a left. Anything like this ever happen to you??

Funny you should mention this. I have a Brittan B5 in my plane and am really just learning it. It does the same thing. If I figure something out I'll let you know.

The 'kota has an Altimatic IIIc and it has never failed in that particular manner.

Maybe give Barry a call at Autopilots Central in Tulsa - they know the Century autopilots about as well as anybody and are generally pretty willing to talk about what might be wrong.

Barry actually helped me out with the repair on the head unit when I bought the aircraft. AC definitely has my recommendation.

I know Barry overhauled my buddy's STEC AP out of his Saratoga. He was very happy with it.

Back