Alternatives to the 430?

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
I am just starting to learn about avionics, and of course the 430 ends up looking large as the "goto" option for a WAAS GPS.

However, it can't possibly be the only option. Right? at $13K installed, it seems like awfully pricey thing to stick in a $30K plane (or even a $60K one for that matter)

Are there cheaper alternatives for a moving map WAAS GPS that make more sense in smaller planes?

Are there cheaper alternatives for a moving map WAAS GPS that make more sense in smaller planes?
Not if you intend on using it for IFR. The 430W will be the budget go-to unit and really is pretty nice.

Like Jesse said. I think this is ther last year of production of the 430. You won't do much better than that. I assume that is the price installed with indicator. If so that is in the ballpark.

Just the box new is north of $8K. Antenna, indicator and install $13K will be in the ballpark. Might get it a little cheaper than $13K but if you fine one for $10K I would take it if I were you.

I love love love my 480 and I think you might too. It fits in the same space as a 430/430W, but the screen is higher resolution than the 530W! Full WAAS support including LPV approaches. Airways support is convenient. It can control a remote transponder -> more space saved in the panel. But mostly I just think the user interface design philosophy is better thought out than the 430/530s. The guys at UPSAT did a great job before Garmin bought them out. The softkeys make it much more sensible. The interface is different to the 430/530 and perhaps needs a little longer to get to grips with initially, but once you are using it it's extremely efficient.

Downside: no built-in terrain.

There are going to be quite a few 430W/530W units out there as folks remove them for upgrades to the GTN's....you'll probably be able to find a really good deal on an entire setup pulled from an aircraft....if you have a good relationship with an avionics shop (ie you've spent bucks there) ask for the techs to keep an eye out for a pulled unit that can go into your plane.

You will be happiest with the 430. There's a reason it's so popular.

Plus, it will increase the value of your plane since these days everyone expects to see a 430 or a 530 for a GPS.

You could look for a used unit that will save you a bit of cash.

If you think you can live without LPV approaches and the other conveniences the 'W' provides, a 'plain' 430 can be had for a lot less than 12k. It gives you non-precision GPS approaches and you have a DME replacement for those approaches where DME gives you better minimums.

During the installation, specify that the coax used is in compliance with a 'W' installation. That way you have an upgrade path once the supply of 'W' boxes on the used market outstrips demand and prices start to come down.

I am just starting to learn about avionics, and of course the 430 ends up looking large as the "goto" option for a WAAS GPS.

However, it can't possibly be the only option. Right? at $13K installed, it seems like awfully pricey thing to stick in a $30K plane (or even a $60K one for that matter)

For 9 bucks, you can go with "a map in the lap"...lol

You will be happiest with the 430. There's a reason it's so popular.

Plus, it will increase the value of your plane since these days everyone expects to see a 430 or a 530 for a GPS.

You could look for a used unit that will save you a bit of cash.

Not sure it will "increase" the value of the plane I think I might say that it will help "maintain" a reasonable value.

I do a lot of instructing in other people's airplanes, and there's no question that the 430 is the "gold standard" for light singles (which I guess would make the GTN650 the "platinum standard"). There simply is no other unit out that which provides so much capability and is so easy to learn and use at that price point. With over 100,000 430/530 units sold, it appears the market agrees with me. The only real question remaining is whether to go with an original 430, a 430W, or spring for the new GTN650, and to my mind, that's just a budgetary question -- buy the best of the three you can afford.

One thing on the non waas unit. If you have to have any repair done in the future on your non waas unit you will have to pay to have the upgrade done which I think is in the $3000+ range before they will do even a minor repair for the bargain basement deal of $1100 flat fee.

The reason is lack of competition.
While there's nothing like the 430 out there at that price point, I haven't seen then Bendix/King KSN770 making a dent in GNS530/GTN750 sales, and it's a direct competitor to them in size, functionality, and price.

Not sure it will "increase" the value of the plane I think I might say that it will help "maintain" a reasonable value.

Well, if someone is willing to pay you $40,000 for a plane with a 430, and $30,000 for the same plane without it, then it's increased the value. You may consider both prices to be very low.

The 430, 530, and 530W have all been discontinued (the 430W is still in production, but is scheduled to be discontinued in the first half of 2012 sometime).

Is that a problem? Garmin will still be supporting those lines for a long time to come, I'm assuming, I guess they just won't be building any new ones? How will that affect prices and parts?

So, if someone was planning on getting a new GPS unit installed, would the 650 be a better idea over the 430?

The 430/530 line seems (seemed?) to really have "legs"...is Garmin hoping to do the same for the 650/750?

I suspect Garmin will still be supporting the 430/530 series for another 10 years or so. If you figure that every 10 years or so warrants a significant avionics upgrade, then that should be fine.

I wouldn't want to put the 650 in, simply because I'd rather let it get a few years on it before putting it in my plane.

Onwards: I think the advice above is good. However, the alternative I use is steam gages with a handheld Garmin. Not quite as good, but makes more sense to me personally in an old (relatively inexpensive) airplane. I just can't justify financially trying to keep up with the latest if the old stuff will work. But then again, I am on the frugal side.

One thing on the non waas unit. If you have to have any repair done in the future on your non waas unit you will have to pay to have the upgrade done which I think is in the $3000+ range before they will do even a minor repair for the bargain basement deal of $1100 flat fee.

This only applies to the earliest 28 volt only GNS430 units.

John, did not know that. Aren't all new 430's with waas now? Can you buy a new 430 non waas? An avionics dealer in TN. told me last year that any non waas 430 or 530 had to be upgraded to be worked on. Perhaps not. Just repeating unverified info.

So does it follow that if you buy a used 430 non waas that it will have to be upgraded to waas before Garmin will service it or just certain non waas units like John said?

John, did not know that. Aren't all new 430's with waas now? Can you buy a new 430 non waas? An avionics dealer in TN. told me last year that any non waas 430 or 530 had to be upgraded to be worked on. Perhaps not. Just repeating unverified info.

Only the GNS430W is available for new purchase. The GNS430 would have to be an older unit and purchased second hand. The first GNS430 units were 28 volt only although they could be installed in a 14 volt airplane with a 14 to 28 volt DC-DC converter. The GPS unit would function at 14 volts, but the 28 volts was needed for the Com radio to develop its rated power. When the GNS530 came out it was 14/28 volt, then production on the GNS430 switched to 14/28 volt. The difference is the Com board. Garmin ran out of parts for the old 28 volt Com board, so had to discontinue maintenance support unless the unit was upgraded to WAAS. The Com board is not part of the regular WAAS upgrade, but if it was changed at the same time, then the unit could be maintained from that point forward.

So does it follow that if you buy a used 430 non waas that it will have to be upgraded to waas before Garmin will service it or just certain non waas units like John said?

If you go to the Garmin site and look up the flat rate maintenance fee on the GNS430 which is $800, you will get the following message:

Garmin RMA must be obtained through an Authorized Garmin Aviation Service Center. The GNS 430 28V only is no longer able to be repaired. The GNS 430 14/28V is still repairable. WAAS upgrade may be available for the GNS 430 28V - see your Garmin Aviation Service Center for options.

Thanks John for the clarification. Thats what happens when one passes on information that has not been verified. Moral of the story do not buy a used 430 in 28 volt only? I have only had a 530 worked on and I THINK it was $1100 so obviously the 430 and 530 is priced different. Thanks!

Back