Alternatives to Google Adsense?

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
I've decided to cancel my Google Adsense account and am considering alternatives.

I've been pondering doing this for some time because the earnings have dwindled to the point that they're basically pocket change. I attribute this mainly to Google's increased reliance on user history and similar factors in selecting the ads, rather than context relevancy. The ads are simply irrelevant to the content nowadays, and my CTR has nosedived. So have my revenues: Whereas Adsense was once my best revenue producer, it's now my worst.

What had me ready to press the button on the cancel form today, however, was the utter impossibility of getting in touch with anyone at Adsense Support -- by email or otherwise -- unless you're reporting a policy violation. All the old contact pages I had stored now redirect to the "Help Forum," and the email addresses I had come back undeliverable.

So what's my big problem? I've been trying to get a 1099 out of them since February. Because I moved near the end of the year, I assume that they sent it to my old address. That post office is a black hole. Nothing sent there gets forwarded in a timely manner. I'm still getting mail forwarded that arrived at my old address last December. Seriously.

No big deal, I thought. I'll simply ask Google to re-sent the 1099. Yeah, right.

The URL in the "Support Forum" article about re-sending 1099s is 404. The 1099 re-send form on Google's Adsense site errors out. And there is no way (at least none that I can find) to actually contact a human being -- or even a robot, for that matter -- in Google's accounting department, so I can ask them to re-send the blasted 1099.

I had the same problem with Amazon: They sent the 1099 to my old address. I'd changed it in my profile, but apparently too late for the change to make it to the Accounting department before the 1099s went out. So I contacted Amazon through the contact form on the Amazon Associates site. They sent out a duplicate the same day.

Amazon also outperforms Adsense by leaps and bounds money-wise, which is pretty amazing when you consider that with Amazon, people actually have to buy something before I get paid. With Adsense, they just have to click an ad -- and they're not even doing that anymore because the ads are so completely irrelevant to the sites' content.

I really want to divest myself of all things Google. I have grown to hate them as a company and as a "partner." I don't even like them as a search engine anymore, to tell you the truth. I get more link farms than relevant results half the time I search using Google.

But before pulling their ads and telling them where to stick their Adsense program, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement.

I already have accounts with Linkshare, Commission Junction, Amazon, and Clicksor (although I rarely use that one), DigitalPros, and some British outfit whose name escapes me at the moment. I think I also still have an AdBrite account, although I haven't used AdBrite for years.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

-Richard

Only to contact the IRS about your 1099.

Just got off the phone with them.

Apparently, this is not unusual, said the gentlelady there. Google apparently has a poor record of getting those forms out on time, and many are never received at all, says she.

She told me to just have the accountant file my return based on the payment figures for the year on Google's Web site, which I admit I didn't know was legal. I thought he had to have the actual 1099.

-Rich

The IRS will always find a way to tell you how much you owe them...;) they already have a copy of the 1099, they don't need yours, the return just has to match their number.

Not sure what your site is, but part of my responsibilities involve monetization of decent size business-to-business site with ~1mm/pageviews a month.

We only do CPM based banner ads and sell about 50% ourselves - our rates are $20-$60cpm. The remaining inventory goes to two ad networks. BBN (www.theb2bnet.com) is for b2b publishers focused in different verticals and pays from $5-$12cpms (cost per thousand impressions) and 24/7 Real Media pays about $1/cpm. ValueClick has a niche network as well paying $1-$2cpms. Your site needs to be of a certain size for any of these companies to take you though. The only three ad sizes they use are 300x250, 728x90, and 160x600.

Not sure what your site is, but part of my responsibilities involve monetization of decent size business-to-business site with ~1mm/pageviews a month.

We only do CPM based banner ads and sell about 50% ourselves - our rates are $20-$60cpm. The remaining inventory goes to two ad networks. BBN (www.theb2bnet.com) is for b2b publishers focused in different verticals and pays from $5-$12cpms (cost per thousand impressions) and 24/7 Real Media pays about $1/cpm. ValueClick has a niche network as well paying $1-$2cpms. Your site needs to be of a certain size for any of these companies to take you though. The only three ad sizes they use are 300x250, 728x90, and 160x600.

Thanks, but none of these are B2B sites. They're mainly instructional, how-to, and hobby-type sites. Some get quite a bit of traffic, but they're basically consumer / hobbyist oriented.

My primary monetization comes from agencies that pay me to link relevant words and phrases back to their clients' sites. Amazon is second. The various PPP affiliates are next, and Adsense is dead last.

-Rich

A Google (oops, you might want to try Bing) search for "alternatives to adsense 2012" returned some good articles and blog postings.

Thanks, but none of these are B2B sites. They're mainly instructional, how-to, and hobby-type sites. Some get quite a bit of traffic, but they're basically consumer / hobbyist oriented.

My primary monetization comes from agencies that pay me to link relevant words and phrases back to their clients' sites. Amazon is second. The various PPP affiliates are next, and Adsense is dead last.

-Rich

fall under this by chance???

Modern Living MediaSM is a premium online advertising network for the home and garden industry. With high-quality publishers focused on content for do-it-yourself home improvement, landscaping and gardening enthusiasts, Modern Living Media delivers qualified audiences and drives brand performance for appliance, remodeling, decorating, gardening, landscaping, construction, furniture, garden, housewares and retail marketers. Learn more.

Back