"Alternate Missed Approach Fix"

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
OK, one of the aproaches I was flying yesterday had something unusual... an "Alternate Missed Approach Fix" designated in an inset box on the plan view:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0802/05866IL17.PDF

You don't see this very often, so I had a couple questions:

1) Would ATC let you know in advance of flying the approach which of the two fixes they'd want you to head to?

2) The missed approach instructions don't mention the route to the alternate fix, so is it correct to presume that the initial portion ("climb to 2500, then right turn direct..") would remain the same?

3) Without a GPS (this is an ILS/LOC approach), how do you head "direct ODEEN", the alternate fix? Direct to PINCK LOM is easy with the required ADF on board. ODEEN is on the R-314 from Cowboy (CVE) VOR, so some homework would be required in advance of the approach, as CVE isn't plotted on the approach plate... in fact, the relationship of ODEEN to the airport isn't shown, either... you don't know, without some homework, if it is NE, SW, NW, or SE of the field. Advanced study of the alternate fix point would be warranted, to ensure you knew which direction to head to intercept a course to ODEEN.

I presume they might use this alternate fix if they've got folks stacked up over the LOM, holding for the approach, and don't want you headed back there.

Last edited:
1) Would ATC let you know in advance of flying the approach which of the two fixes they'd want you to head to?
Only if they want you to go somewhere other than the fix in the Missed Approach instruction block, in this case, PINCK LOM.
2) The missed approach instructions don't mention the route to the alternate fix, so is it correct to presume that the initial portion ("climb to 2500, then right turn direct..") would remain the same?
Not necessarily. If you're getting the alternate missed, the controller is required by the ATC Handbook to read you verbatim the full alternate missed approach procedure which he has in writing from the TERPS folks who developed it. The initial part may or may not be the same, which is why the controller must read the full instructions verbatim.
3) Without a GPS (this is an ILS/LOC approach), how do you head "direct ODEEN", the alternate fix? Direct to PINCK LOM is easy with the required ADF on board.
You don't. Note the "ADF REQUIRED" stamped clearly on the bottom of the chart. IFR GPS can, of course, sub for that ADF, but without either ADF or GPS, you have to get the controller to read you the alternated missed approach instructions or you're not legal to fly the approach.

Thanks, Ron, this is about how I figured it would go. Was looking for confirmation, which you provided!

Scott, I especially like your point about flying the ODP and not the missed if below MDA/DA. The ODP isn't briefed as part of the approach briefing by anyone I've flown with. I'll add that to my checklist.

-Felix

Back