Almost Runway Incursion

U

Unregistered

Day VFR Conditions, Pilot is a private pilot with less than 100hours total time. Aircraft is a C172 equipped for IFR flight with GPS and Safetaxi charts on G496.

I landed at Burke Lakefront Airport (KBKL) around 3:00pm EST for a meeting at the airport, the meeting only took 15 minutes. After the meeting myself and three passengers (none are pilots) loaded into the C172. I was not in a rush to get off the ground at all. I called ground and got my taxi clearance to runway 6R via golf, started taxiing to what I thought was taxiway golf but it was actually runway 6R, at the last second I saw the runway hold short markings and stopped the plane on the intersection of Bravo and Golf, none of my aircraft ever crossed the hold short line. I ended up getting an intersection departure and the rest of the flight was uneventful.

There were no other aircraft at the airport at that time so really no real threat, but still.

over.jpg

afd.png

***Red denotes correct taxi route, yellow is actual incorrect route***

In the airplane with me I had foreflight running on my iPAD with GEO REFERENCED TAXI AND APPROACH CHARTS , I had the chart on my lap but never referenced it. I keep thinking back to how stupid that was.

Lesson Learned for me, Quickly brief a taxi route even with the simplest instructions and use the technology that I have onboard.

Fly safely!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back