Almost a student pilot again….

14.7:1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
14.7:1
Hi All,
I’ve decided to get back into the saddle and get my private cert. I started about 20 years ago and had maybe 10 hours of flight time before life got in the way.

Here is my quandary. Our primary residence is in Las Vegas, however we’re looking at vacation homes /STR properties at Big Bear or Sedona. Mission would be to fly wife, myself and 4 dogs. Three of our dogs are <25#, but our Rottie is around 150. I don’t see how a 4 seat plane will work for this mission. I’m thinking a 6 seat plane that doesn’t require climbing on the wing or over the front seats. I’m just guessing that will require something like a 6XT, Saratoga, or 36.

Should I try to build time in an PA-24 or stick with 172/182 through my IR? I know a plane purchase is probably a year or so after getting my license, but I’d like to transition into a mission capable plane with enough experience to keep insurance folks happy.

Train in the smallest, least expensive plane you can comfortably fit in. The difference in hourly cost * the hours you need will more than make up for the extra time in type. Plus, the smaller the plane the more demanding it is to fly well so a smaller plane will help your piloting skills.

A lot of 4 seat aircraft have the useful load for that mission. Personally I never would transport dogs unless they were in proper crates. Available space is the issue with that many dogs.

As you’re discovering a 6-seat makes for a capable aircraft. Lots of the 4-seat, with some exceptions, are really 2-person or 3-person machines.

and by throwing high altitudes in the mix, a turbo is not optional. It’s nearly mandatory for good high-altitude departures.

A Cessna 206 would handle your requirements and doesn't involve climbing on a wing to get in. But, you won't like the price or the insurance for a low time pilot.

I agree with @Crashnburn. Train in the smallest/cheapest. You'll transition later to whatever you buy, you'll be fine. We purchased a Cherokee Six late last year and it's great for everything you mentioned. A Cessna could do it too as @bflynn mentioned.

And DAYUM - that is one BIGA$$ Rottie!!! Pics?

Hi All,
I’ve decided to get back into the saddle and get my private cert. I started about 20 years ago and had maybe 10 hours of flight time before life got in the way.

Here is my quandary. Our primary residence is in Las Vegas, however we’re looking at vacation homes /STR properties at Big Bear or Sedona. Mission would be to fly wife, myself and 4 dogs. Three of our dogs are <25#, but our Rottie is around 150. I don’t see how a 4 seat plane will work for this mission. I’m thinking a 6 seat plane that doesn’t require climbing on the wing or over the front seats. I’m just guessing that will require something like a 6XT, Saratoga, or 36.

Should I try to build time in an PA-24 or stick with 172/182 through my IR? I know a plane purchase is probably a year or so after getting my license, but I’d like to transition into a mission capable plane with enough experience to keep insurance folks happy.

My 182 has a 1090# useful load. Full fuel leaves 616# and after the dogs that leaves 391 for you, the wife, and baggage. I'll leave it to others to talk about a 182 near gross at high DA as I don't have much time in in yet to say much.

I personally find it perplexing how anyone can be doing such long-term big-plane planning at 10 hours. I'm with @Crashnburn: train in whatever is cheap and local, and focus on learning to fly. There will be plenty of time to drool over other planes and bigger planes. Plenty of time to argue minutiae of makes and models and engines and configurations. All that arguing will be more productive when you've learned the basics. Gone on some cross-countries. Booked some experience. Flown some variety. Experienced density altitude first-hand.

I know there is a "train in what you'll eventually fly" camp, but I'm in the "learn first and draw from the experience later" camp. There's so much to aviation... so much that you only learn about after spending some time in it. Sometimes missions change along the journey. Who knows, maybe you'll decide that your true passion is gliders, or aerobatics, or flight instruction, or you see a LongEZ at a fly-in and your heart skips a beat?

That being said, our 172 has rear seats that fold up against the fuselage (Atlee-Dodge), which turns the whole rear section into a giant cargo compartment. However, teaching dogs about CG might be difficult.

Last edited:
I agree with @Crashnburn. Train in the smallest/cheapest. You'll transition later to whatever you buy, you'll be fine. We purchased a Cherokee Six late last year and it's great for everything you mentioned. A Cessna could do it too as @bflynn mentioned.

And DAYUM - that is one BIGA$$ Rottie!!! Pics?

@1000RR
Here you go. He excels at getting comfortable.
upload_2022-9-8_19-33-57.png

All,
Thanks for the replies. One more question. If cost isn’t an issue, what are the thoughts of learning in a 172 with full glass or steam gauges?

A lot of 4 seat aircraft have the useful load for that mission. Personally I never would transport dogs unless they were in proper crates. Available space is the issue with that many dogs.

If one was to add the three littles together they wouldn’t equal one real dog.

All,
Thanks for the replies. One more question. If cost isn’t an issue, what are the thoughts of learning in a 172 with full glass or steam gauges?

It's really up to you and what you find most intuitive. Glass can be cool, and possibly easier if you are really into digital everything. I found the steam gauges so much easier for me, but I had a lot of exposure to analog clocks and the like. If cost is no issue, schedule a few flights in each and try them out!

I learned with steam gauges. Then, last year bought a PA32 and it had partial glass (Aspen). So it was a nice balance and transition for me as I still had my steam gauges as backups around the Aspen. I still find myself looking at the steam gauges for the ASI, VSI, and Altimeter but am beginning to look at the Aspen for some of it as well. I definitely prefer the Aspen for my AI and of course on the bottom side is my HSI so that's convenient. In the end, I don't think it'll much matter. Maybe try both and see if you naturally like one or the other. It may play a roll in a purchase down the road... not that avionics can't be changed but it's always a consideration when purchasing.

That's a good look'n Rot btw. One big baby!!

Back