Almost a Runway Incursion

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
I usually fly out of a towered field where I get IFR clearance on the ground, or out of uncontrolled fields where I open in the air after departure (providing I can take off VFR of course). So my first instinct when someone says "Cleared to depart" is to move onto the runway and take off.

The other day I was at an uncontrolled field under a Class C shelf and the instructions gave a radio frequency to obtain clearances from Departure at the big airport. I started the plane and contacted Departure. They gave me the clearance as per normal but then immediately said "Stand by for read back". Figuring they were busy I just acknowledged.

After a minute or two listening to Departure talking non-stop with other planes, and as there were no other planes moving or waiting at this airport, I decided to taxi to the active - Switched Comm 1 to listen only and Comm 2 to talk on CTAF, I announced my intentions and taxiied to the hold short on the active. While holding short, and after my run up, which now made total time approaching ten minutes, I was afraid he had forgotten me. I switched back to Comm 1 and advised "N3904X ready to read back clearance". This was followed by a curt "N3904X standby".

I figured they were really busy and so I better not miss the call so I turned off the "listen" on Comm 2. Finally I got "N3904X, read back clearance" - which I did. I received a "N3904X, cleared to depart, fly runway heading until 2,000 then right turn to a heading of 270, advise when passing through 3,000."

As I was reading back I started to advance the throttle to move onto the active. Shear habit caused me to look up to the left only to see a biz jet on VERY short final. Hit the brakes hard, switched to Comm 2 and told him I had seen him and stopped and asked if he was still okay to land (I was about halfway over the hold short line). He advised he was fine, he landed, I moved into position and hold, he cleared and I took off.

A momentary brain fart on my behalf but I'll always remember the lesson - remember where you are!

Wow! Nice save!

Just out of curiosity, was the field you were departing IMC? In other words, would the biz-jet be doing an approach and departure screwed up, or do you think he was coming in VFR and Departure simply failed to tell you about inbound traffic? I'm wondering if they were as busy as it sounds if they had their scope set to filter out 1200 squawks and upon the biz-jet switching to 1200, they lost him on their scope. Interesting situation, nonetheless.

You're right about that.... Remember where you are.
My almost was with two PAX new to flying little planes. I'd gotten clearance to taxi to the hold line of 35. I was momentarily distracted (by talking) when I noticed the hold short line pass under the plane! and tower announce I'd just passed it. No harm this time. Also, the hold short is about 50 ' from the turn onto the runway. I was looking for it a whole lot closer.
My fault for sure.... and lesson learned!

Classic example of the alligators/swamp-draining situation -- good reminder of the importance of never forgetting who's in the swamp with you.

Wow! Nice save!

Just out of curiosity, was the field you were departing IMC? In other words, would the biz-jet be doing an approach and departure screwed up, or do you think he was coming in VFR and Departure simply failed to tell you about inbound traffic? I'm wondering if they were as busy as it sounds if they had their scope set to filter out 1200 squawks and upon the biz-jet switching to 1200, they lost him on their scope. Interesting situation, nonetheless.

No field was VFR. Whenever I'm departing from or returning to Chicago I usually file IFR due to the number of planes flying around the southern edge of O'Hare. I probably could have taken off and opened in the air but chose to open on the ground. Approach was giving planes "visual" to the field.

(I was about halfway over the hold short line).

A momentary brain fart on my behalf but I'll always remember the lesson - remember where you are!

An ASRS NASA form might not be a bad idea!

Thanks for sharing....and glad you and the jet did not meet any closer!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back