Alcohol testing at HIMS Psych eval

N

Not an alcoholic

I’m going to get a HIMS Psych eval in about a month. Normally I’m a very light drinker at 0-2 drinks per week, but have been abstaining for the last month, as I’ve read horror stories of people getting pegged as alcohol dependent by the HIMS Psych.

That said, my 25 year anniversary is coming up and I’d like to celebrate appropriately with my wife. How risky would it be to down a few drinks knowing the Psych eval is around the corner?

Priorities, flying or drinking. Sounds like you have had an issue in the FAA's eyes, make a choice, live with the consequences.

Priorities, flying or drinking. Sounds like you have had an issue in the FAA's eyes, make a choice, live with the consequences.

My issue is not with drinking but another “mental disorder”

My issue is not with drinking but another “mental disorder”

Got it, but alcohol will add another dimension to your FAA problems, you don't have a history, don't create one. I hope you are able get your issue worked out and are able to fly one day.

I'm thinking that the desire to "celebrate appropriately", meaning drink alcohol, may be seen as an issue for a HIMS doctor.

I am not an expert in this, in fact I'm not even a novice. Hopefully Dr Chien will chime in here, if he does, pay close attention to what he says and take it to heart. The rest of us, except Dr Fowler, but the rest of us, take our comments with a grain of salt.

I’d like to celebrate appropriately with my wife
Why is alcohol necessary for this? Something about your wife requires you to be intoxicated in order to enjoy her company?

If you’re looking to toast your 25th, there are some good non-alcoholic champagnes out there. Use this occasion to not only celebrate her, but also celebrate the beginnings of 100% sobriety.

I'm thinking that the desire to "celebrate appropriately", meaning drink alcohol, may be seen as an issue for a HIMS doctor.
I’m thinking the same.

I also think the choice of username is also a telling dimension to the story.

OP, this is the gentleman, Dr Chien, I was talking about, just so there is no doubt.

Ok I take it I shouldn’t drink and I won’t. I’ve never seen a more conservative agency, but what do I know..

In the medical world, this would not be a problem. In the legal world, no issue.

In the administrative world of federal aviation. PROBLEM.

I know a guy who has lost his medical and career because of a HIMS shrink amateur evaluation of a junk science Peth test in a non substance abuse situation, just like yours.

So yes, it’s a real threat.

Why is alcohol necessary for this? Something about your wife requires you to be intoxicated in order to enjoy her company?

Well there was the story about the guy complaining about how much his wife spent on makeup. She remarked that the makeup was worth the cost because it made her pretty and he should not say anything because of all the money he spent on booze. He remined her that "making her look pretty" was what the booze was for so she should save the makeup money. :D

Not aimed at the OP but just to add some humor. Seriously ... walk away from the alcohol, forever. Doing so will help you, your marriage, and your pilot life. It's all about choices.

Man, tools you are acting like a tool....any consumption after abuse = truly, it has a hold on you. The OP is going to the evaluators for the abuse vs dependency eval....and he want to know if he can drink. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
According to the internet of things: HIMS is an occupational substance abuse treatment program, specific to pilots, that coordinates the identification, treatment, and return to work process for affected aviators.

If that definition is correct there is some evidence of substance use that needs treatment. Typically one substance equals ALL substances in the treatment world. Also, this program is not typically elective.

So, if your question is, if I'm in HIMS evaluation for substance x, can I enjoy substance y, the answer is: Of course not, dumb ass.

It's doubtful you're mileage will vary.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back