Alcohol (no, not another DUI thread!)

Ah, so the number is just some non-scientific rectal extraction.

Properly worded 80% of those with an alcohol problem have had it manifested in the form of a DUI is a better characterization.
Yup. But then I would ask, How do you have the denominator of "those with a alcohol problem? Today one of my 121 airmen is going to Las Vegas to intervene with family, on his on eyear younger brother. No DUI, but really has a problem.

I decided on a lark to go to the AA.com website - not American Airlines. . . .

You can search for meetings. I live in a city of 33,000 people. We have 47 AA meetings over a 7 day period. Can you believe that? I was astounded. In one small city.

The I went back to my town in Connecticut. 6000 residents. In a 5 mile radius we have 36 meetings covering a population of about 36,000 in that radius.

Alcohol is a serious serious problem - I never realized how bad until I saw the number of AA meetings that go one on a daily basis around us. All the pain, all the people, all the addiction. Wow.

You can search for meetings. I live in a city of 33,000 people. We have 47 AA meetings over a 7 day period. Can you believe that? I was astounded. In one small city.

The I went back to my town in Connecticut. 6000 residents. In a 5 mile radius we have 36 meetings covering a population of about 36,000 in that radius.

Alcohol is a serious serious problem - I never realized how bad until I saw the number of AA meetings that go one on a daily basis around us. All the pain, all the people, all the addiction. Wow.
....now layoff that bottle, joe.....:wink2:

Which is why Temperance got a foot -er- axehold.

In the past I have joked that I'd rather be a drunk than an alcoholic since drunks don't have to go to those damn meetings.

A friend who by his own admission has "drunk himself through three marriages" and attends AA regularly says their definition is:

A drunk could quit if he would, an alcoholic would quit if he could.

you would also be surprised at who you might find attending those meetings.

Yup. But then I would ask, How do you have the denominator of "those with a alcohol problem? Today one of my 121 airmen is going to Las Vegas to intervene with family, on his on eyear younger brother. No DUI, but really has a problem.

It comes from your "experts" who base their observations on those people who are in AA or are otherwise seeking treatment from them. Do you think people hang out in AA or pay alcohol counselors when they don't have some sort of alcohol problem.

It comes from your "experts" who base their observations on those people who are in AA or are otherwise seeking treatment from them. Do you think people hang out in AA or pay alcohol counselors when they don't have some sort of alcohol problem.
...which goes back to from where the "number" comes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back