Alaska State Troopers Helo 1 down, destroyed

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
Wow, that is so sad. When we get up we never know if we're coming home that day or not. Whether by car, or plane, or just a facet of our work life is fleeting.

Condolences to all who knew the victims.

http://www.adn.com/article/20141105...nt-contributed-fatal-trooper-helicopter-crash

Those previous successes on risky missions were part of a pattern the NTSB identified as a partial cause of the deadly crash. The federal agency said the state should have put an end to such flights long before Nading died.

"As a result of inadequate, high-level management support, the Alaska Department of Public Safety lacked a safety program capable of highlighting the deficiencies uncovered in this accident, including training and risk management," the final NTSB report said.

When the state did act -- Nading was written up after several minor accidents -- it did so in the worst way, the report added.

"The Alaska Department of Public Safety had a punitive safety culture that impeded a free flow of safety related information and impaired the organization's ability to address underlying safety deficiencies relevant to this accident," the report said.

At the end of a four-hour hearing, the board ruled the direct cause of the accident "was the pilot's decision to continue flight under visual flight rules into deteriorating weather" but added that "also causal was the punitive culture and inadequate safety management" of public safety supervisors.

William Bramble, the NTSB's senior human performance investigator, said Nading was asked to complete a "high-risk mission" absent the sort of risk assessment procedures that "would have encouraged the pilot to decline the mission."

That would suck being rescued by a helicopter for it to go down and you died.

It happens way too often.

A safe police aviation department will hire pilots and train them to be cops. Not train cops to act as pilots.

14 years ago I wanted to apply to be a state trooper fixed wing pilot in Alaska. I was told I could apply after I had been a state trooper for a minimum of 5 years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back