Alaska - one week - how?

I have friends that do it. The biggest difference between there and the Kenai is that in the Kenai we must release Kings. Not so in the Copper. Dip netting isn't important enough for me to dedicate the time to do it. Even on a weekday the Kenai's a friggin rodeo, but that's fun in itself. A friend's wife had me drive the boat this year. I like that part. Dragging the net? Not so much.

If you get there for the major run you can limit out in a couple hours. Last time I went eme missed the run so it took a couple days to limit out. It is hard work like that. We would dip for about 12 hours then sleep for 5 OR 6 then back to the river. Would hide our nets and waders in the woods and I had a three wheeler to haul the fish out

Checking back in:

We just got back. It was a trip we've wanted to do for a long time, and it was our 30th anniversary.

By coincidence, Tim Winters and his wife were there for their 30th also, at the same time, so we met up for dinner one night in Seward.

We spent a lot of time looking out of windows: planes, trains, and buses.

Flew into Anchorage and spent the night. Our hotel was pretty much on the right base for the lake next to the airport, so float planes were coming back from their day trips and flying right over my head about every 3 minutes. It didn't suck.

Took the train to Seward and stayed a couple nights. Got a cruise into Kenai Fjords NP that lasted most of a day. I'd give that trip a high score.

From there, headed up to Talkeetna for another couple days. Got a flight up close to Mt McKinley from one of the operators there.

Then went to Denali and spent all day in the park. It's way different from other NPs. Personal vehicles are only allowed in very small section of the park, so the only way to see it is by shuttle or tour bus. The result is a gigantic park, with very few cars to clog the roads.

Finally, took the train back to Anchorage and flew home on the red-eye.

On the way from Seattle to Anchorage I had my N7 open with Garmin Pilot, trying to follow our progress. The guy next to me noticed it, so he started telling me about his 182 he flies from Palmer. He gave me some info on where to rent a 172 and a good sightseeing route to take. Maybe next time.

It is pricey, but I would recommend a week's cruise with The Boat Company.

They have purpose built cruise ships that accommodate 30 people (approx) max. You travel from Juneau to Sitka (or the other way) in luxury. The trip is basically an ecology cruise designed to raise your awareness of the eco-issues in Southeast Alaska. Although I must say the eco-theme is very lightly applied. You are off the boat every day (if you choose) on one of the mothership's skiffs (25' - 30') to poke into inlets, go ashore and tramp through the forests, go fishing, etc. We had a ball. We saw grizzlies catching salmon, whales, caught a 100 lb halibut and many salmon as well.

Ships crew includes at least one naturalist to explain what you are seeing.

It is a fabulous trip!

Our whole family did a two week surf and turf in 07 courtesy of my in-laws.

I did rent a car when we arrived in FAI and took my wife around to some of my old haunts, like Eielson, Johnson Rd near Soldotna and Pump Station 8, but the trip did get you to enough places to see things and have some fun.

The train ride from FAI to Denali and then on to Anc was something I never had the time to do when I lived there. Lots of great photo ops north of Denali.

Spent a week on the road via bus and rail then a week on the ship.

I also did two weeks in an RV in 99 and two more weeks in a RV in 11. I am due to return soon I can feel it in my bones, or should I say my wallet

I've lived here for 47 years and I've still got more bucket list than time to fulfill it.

Oh bother..... I have to go flying this afternoon. :)

I hear ya, I had a lot of fun adventures in the short time I was there but oh so many things I didn't get to do.

Great trip! Next time fly yourself there and back. I did it a few years ago. I have friends up there now. They left last week, just spent a couple of days at Talketna going through Delnali. and hoping on weather tomorrow to head to Fairbanks.

Back