Alaska airports

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Found this cool site while browsing Warbelow's page:

http://www.alaska.faa.gov/fai/airports.htm

Has photos (annotated) of almost all Alaska strips, including the back-country ones.

Had to work Saturday (we're upgrading software on 130+ hosts)... still here, and it's 16 hours after I started. We've got 12 of us working on them, but you know how things go...

Had to take a break and browse some aviation stuff... time to get back at it, now.

Ive always wondered, Can you fly from Alaska to Europe crossing Russia? seems longer than the trip thru greenland, but not as much time over water.

Michael said:
Ive always wondered, Can you fly from Alaska to Europe crossing Russia? seems longer than the trip thru greenland, but not as much time over water.

I've been following a guy who just rode a F650 Dakar across Siberia, he had a lot of problems getting clean fuel (and you could pee in a Dakar tank and it would still run).

Going ME -> NB -> NF -> Greenland -> Iceland -> Shannon would probably only require an extra 40 gallons of fuel, losing you 2 seats (one for the tank, two for the weight)

Cheers,

-Andrew

Michael said:

I've heard of it being done. I ran across some information about that while poking through some of the Earth Rounders stuff a while back. The biggest problem is fuel issues. At least a while back, some of the flight required someone from the Russian military to be onboard and getting off course would get you in serious trouble. They said the best route was along the Trans Siberian RR route and if you look at a map, that would be the way to do it.

If I had the funding, I'd do it in a second.

Tim said:
It's caught a bunch of planes that's for sure! Go through Anaktuvuk Pass instead it is a much nicer Trip !!

What you think Carol?????:dunno:

I agree!

fgcason said:
I've heard of it being done. I ran across some information about that while poking through some of the Earth Rounders stuff a while back. The biggest problem is fuel issues. At least a while back, some of the flight required someone from the Russian military to be onboard and getting off course would get you in serious trouble. They said the best route was along the Trans Siberian RR route and if you look at a map, that would be the way to do it.

If I had the funding, I'd do it in a second.

I think you'd need something that burns kerosene. From what I've read, avgas and even mogas is simply unavailable across most of Siberia. Sure would be an adventure though. OTOH if the question is would a trans-Siberia route be more practical and/or safer than a flight across the north Atlantic, I'd guess the answer is no way.

lancefisher said:
I think you'd need something that burns kerosene. From what I've read, avgas and even mogas is simply unavailable across most of Siberia. Sure would be an adventure though. OTOH if the question is would a trans-Siberia route be more practical and/or safer than a flight across the north Atlantic, I'd guess the answer is no way.

I'd guess your guess is right. The only practical advantage is not having to go swimming if the fan quits but it might be a long walk afterward in some hostile territory.

The story I read, the guy put a ferry tank in and still had to have fuel shipped into a couple places. All said and done you can bet it was no where near $3/gallon and that was a good while ago.

I just pulled out my little globe and did the great circle route with a piece of string. Rough line (draw with chalk measure by eye) from Nome AK to the trans Siberan route to Lake Baykal is about the same distance as BOS to LON via the N Atlantic Route. Only difference is that at that point, you're halfway to Europe. Oops.

If you're starting in AK to go to EU, unless you can take a polar route with enough fuel, it's going to be about the same distance either way give or take a finger width on a 5" ball.

I still think it would be a fun adventure. Spendy and lots of logistical problems but fun.

Back