AIS ship position to glass panel

AndyK

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AndyK
I've developed a device that receives AIS position reports from ships and converts them to a format that can be consumed by ForeFlight via WiFi for display as "traffic" on the moving map along with regular ADSB traffic (ForeFlight can consume and display ADSB data from multiple sources). This can be helpful for flights over water.

A few people have asked me whether it would be possible to pipe this to their glass cockpit display instead of / in addition to ForeFlight. I'm looking for some advice on whether this is even possible. I'm a low time PPL and know close to nothing about the technical details of the in-cockpit avionics ecosystem. My assumption is that this would be a regulatory no-go on any certified aircraft, but it may be legal on experimental aircraft?

If that's correct, will modern glass cockpit systems used in E-AB aircraft even accept ADSB data from multiple sources like ForeFlight will? As best I can tell, ForeFlight kind of allows it by accident, I'm not sure it was intentionally designed with that capability.

If some displays would support this device as a second ADSB data source, what datalink would I need to support to feed this data into the avionics system? RS-232? CAN of some flavor? So far I haven't found a lot in the way of standardization but I'm probably not looking in the right places.

Thanks,

Andy

Andy, how can I get a version of your foreflight device?

Back