Airworthiness Directive

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
As part of our due diligence for purchasing an aircraft, we're double checking that all of the applicable AD's have been properly complied with and documented.

This process got me wondering if it is possible to find out more about the incidents and/or events that caused the AD to be created. Some historical background as it were.

This process got me wondering if it is possible to find out more about the incidents and/or events that caused the AD to be created. Some historical background as it were.
Usually this is discussed in the AD itself as part of the justification process. The AD's are available on line at the FAA web site.

In the "For Further Information Contact" section is the name, email and phone number of the FAA person who can provide the details on the event(s) that resulted in the AD. A number of us are "in discussion" with the proposed AD for the fuel selector level on cherokees. The FAA contact is extremely helpful regarding the rationale, it's just that many of us don't agree with the decision to issue the AD. I believe the NPRM is still open for comment.

For modern era ADs the thing the FAA publishes as the AD is the FINAL RULE. It certainly delves into some of the reasons (and perhaps some analysis of any comments garnered during the rule making process).

AD Database here: http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/airworthiness_directives/

If that is not enough for you, up near the top of the AD should be a line that looks like this:

[Docket No. FAA-2007-27611; Directorate Identifier 2007-CE-024-AD; Amendment 39-15408; AD 2008-05-14]

Then you can take that docket # to www.regulations.gov and open up the docket folder and see the original proposed rulemaking and all the supporting info as well as the comments people have made on that matter.

On older ADs you're probably out of luck. An older one likely only has this information:

Compliance required within the next 50 hours time in service after the effective date of this AD, and each annual inspection thereafter.

To prevent failure of the Rudder Horn, P/N 145-24401, accomplish the following:

Inspect for horizontal cracks or corrosion in the edge of the rudder horn. These cracks would appear as delaminations or swelling under the paint. Replace corroded or cracked rudder horns with new or unused part of the same part number or Federal Aviation Administration approved equivalent part before further flight.

This amendment becomes effective October 3, 1968.

Last edited:
Back